What are the two really bright stars tonight

Saturn will rise tonight in about 1 hour. Look due east and you'll see two bright stars. The one to the right is Spica, and the one to the left isn't a star, but the rather spectacular Saturn.

With a good pair of binoculars, you'll be able to see the rings.

Awesome, eh?

Saturn will rise tonight in about 1 hour. Look due east and you'll see two bright stars. The one to the right is Spica, and the one to the left isn't a star, but the rather spectacular Saturn.

With a good pair of binoculars, you'll be able to see the rings.

Awesome, eh?

Thanks for that, I shall have a look; still quite clear here at the moment. I'll see what we can manage to see with a pair of 8 x 30 binoculars.

Thanks for that, I shall have a look; still quite clear here at the moment. I'll see what we can manage to see with a pair of 8 x 30 binoculars.

Just to add, it's just risen n the horizon, so it'll be another hour before it's at a reasonable height to see over the rooftops.

This is a really stupid question but if I am in batemoor looking out back towards chesterfield will they be there, or round front looking towards sheffield/norton etc?

Hey there. You need to use the setting sun as a direction pointer.

Basically, if you're looking toward Sheffield, you'll see two bright 'stars' - but be quick, they're falling rapidly now and will soon be below the horizon.

Go have a look now, that direction is pretty much West...

As Venus sets below the horizon, so will Saturn rise in almost exactly the opposite direction.

Archived