Rubber Dinghies and boating law

Okay, this night seem a bit daft, but I tend to do things that some people may deem to be daft.

Does anyone know if I (or two of us to be more accurate) would be able to row from one place to another, across a short distance of sea, without breaking any laws, in a rubber dinghy.

Are there any regulations or requirements that need meeting, or any laws about it at all?

Specifically we'd like to row out to Piel island. There is a RNLI station on the beach we would be "sailing" from.

Okay, this night seem a bit daft, but I tend to do things that some people may deem to be daft.

Does anyone know if I (or two of us to be more accurate) would be able to row from one place to another, across a short distance of sea, without breaking any laws, in a rubber dinghy.

Are there any regulations or requirements that need meeting, or any laws about it at all?

Specifically we'd like to row out to Piel island. There is a RNLI station on the beach we would be "sailing" from.

I don't think there is, apart from any rules on using a section of the beach for launching the dinghy. It is wise to let the RNLI station (if manned) know when you depart and expect to return, be aware of the tides, and have all the appropriate safety equipment. Also obtain advice from local coastguard.

I would concur with contacting the local RNLI for information - they'll know whether it's actually possibly to row safely to the island or not. (I never heard of it, so I can't help!)

The principle of "No Permanent Damage" applies here. Getting stuck on the island for six hours because your dinghy is no use, is not permanent. Drowning because it gave out halfway across, kind of is.

I've just had a look at the place your going to do this on streetview and it made me laugh at your desire to go and do such a thing in such a grim and forlorn place.

I admire your spirit and if all goes tits up then it looks like an easy swim back to civilisation (if you can call it that).:hihi::hihi:

I've just had a look at the place your going to do this on streetview and it made me laugh at your desire to go and do such a thing in such a grim and forlorn place.

I admire your spirit and if all goes tits up then it looks like an easy swim back to civilisation (if you can call it that).:hihi::hihi:

That's not it, that's Roa island where we would be rowing FROM. This and this are Piel Island :bigsmile:

Hope you can swim..:hihi:

Archived