Rubber Dinghies and boating law

Okay, this night seem a bit daft, but I tend to do things that some people may deem to be daft.

Does anyone know if I (or two of us to be more accurate) would be able to row from one place to another, across a short distance of sea, without breaking any laws, in a rubber dinghy.

Are there any regulations or requirements that need meeting, or any laws about it at all?

Specifically we'd like to row out to Piel island. There is a RNLI station on the beach we would be "sailing" from.

Contact the coast guard regarding regulations etc.

Personally, I would give the idea of rowing a wide berth, unless you know the tides and the currents well.

Theres nothing to stop you rowing out there but there is a very strong current there. Piel Island is a fantastic place with very cheap camping unless you sit in the Kings Chair ;) I would recommend buying a small outboard if you want to get across on your own.

Hope you can swim..:hihi:

Yes, I can

Check this out, I wouldn't risk it if the tidal flows are near a spring tide.

http://maalie1.blogspot.com/2011/01/piel-triangl.html

Thanks! after reading through that I think it's probably best not to use a dinghy!

The only reason we entertained the idea was because it's so shallow and such shot distance, but I guess looks can really be deceiving !

From your link:

"Venturing out into the centre of the Piel Triangle,

the sea seems calm enough during slack water at high tide

Nudging closer to a channel marker buoy,

with Piel Castle in the background,

the ebb flow started almost without warning.

I found myself having to paddle vigorously to make small headway"

:o

From a sea kayaking website:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?14786-Walney-Island

The thing with rubber dinghies is that they don't have much below the waterline so are easily driven by the wind.

I had a 21ft diesel engined boat, and even with this, progress was painfully slow when going against strong tide runs.

The Captain of the Costa Concordia had one of the biggest ships in the world, and even he manged to **** it up, going between islands.

Archived