Benefits vs working

Not on national minimum wage they wouldn't - we don't get much more that that and we're both on well over £8 an hour and national minimum wage is over the threshold for benefits unless you have children so full rent and council tax

I don't want to labour the point but I did work it out at £6.08 per hour for 37.5 hours each. That = £228 a week or £11856 a year each. No tax payable on the first £8k and NI contributions are around 12%. A rough calculation of tax/NI would be just over £2k a year each. That leaves them over £19k nett for the year, which works out at around £1600+ per month between them.

You may have other deductions, such as occupational pension contributions, or union subs and of course your tax and NI will be proportionately higher. You may also have lower tax codes, for instance if you have other income. Everyone's circumstances are different, and I based my calculations on the minimum wage and basic personal allowances. I think a couple with no dependents would be better off both working full time. Even after housing costs they would have more disposable income than an equivalent couple both over 18 on basic JSA who get £105.95 a week.

Location114 makes some good points about what isn't covered by benefits.

I don't want to labour the point but I did work it out at £6.08 per hour for 37.5 hours each. That = £228 a week or £11856 a year each. No tax payable on the first £8k and NI contributions are around 12%. A rough calculation of tax/NI would be just over £2k a year each. That leaves them over £19k nett for the year, which works out at around £1600+ per month between them.

That’s assuming they have no travel expenses to get to work, if they work in opposite direction and each have to travel 12 miles to get to work and public transport is unavailable, they can easily spend £400 of that every month running a car just to get to work and back.

I know a young lady that works only 10 miles from her address, she has to catch three buses costing her £10 per day and taking 1.5 hours to travel each direction, she will be running a car soon but the cost will be about the same. My kids run cars because they couldn't get to work without them and between them they spend £60 a week just for petrol, then add on insurance, tax, servicing, depreciation, and they end up working to run a car.

That’s assuming they have no travel expenses to get to work, if they work in opposite direction and each have to travel 12 miles to get to work and public transport is unavailable, they can easily spend £400 of that every month running a car just to get to work and back.

I know a young lady that works only 10 miles from her address, she has to catch three buses costing her £10 per day and taking 1.5 hours to travel each direction, she will be running a car soon but the cost will be about the same. My kids run cars because they couldn't get to work without them and between them they spend £60 a week just for petrol, then add on insurance, tax, servicing, depreciation, and they end up working to run a car.

I understand about transport costs, I used to run a car to get to work before I moved to Sheffield. I also know people can get a monthly ticket for all buses, trains and trams in this area for quite a bit less than £10 a day.

My initial response was to someone who said a couple who are both on full time minimum wage jobs, couldn't afford to leave their parental homes. I was merely demonstrating that it is possible, but as you say each situation is different.

I am self employed and have been for many years no one helps me or gives me any thing it is a struggle some times but I get by, the way I look at is you can be working in a job and be skint you can work for your self and be skint but at least you are doing it for your self,you can have the best job in the world and the next day you are out on your ear,Iv'e had some good times and some bad times in the past,being self employed mite not suite most people its the non regulatory of money that a lot of people cant stand,but it is good when a nice bit of work and good money comes in and the the benefit is yours and not the boss,I think the whole system has gone mad in this country what with the price of fuel and council rates and all the bills people have to pay you just can not get on for trying,no wonder people don't want to work when they can get every thing paid for when there on benefits,it does not take long before you get behind with your rent or mortgage and rates and you are in big trouble,no mater what work it is I think people feel better of in mind and spirit and pride when working, being on benefits is just an existence.

Archived