Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

How will you explain it when the law is changed, when same sex couples can marry?

This item was not included in the partys manifesto before the election therefore a national referendum should take place to determine the views of the majority.

This item was not included in the partys manifesto before the election therefore a national referendum should take place to determine the views of the majority.

Waste of time.Its a foregone conclusion who would win.

That's not how it works on anything else, you elect them, they govern, you don't get a national vote on ideas you don't happen to agree with.

And this massive generalisation you've made is supposed to somehow justify not allowing gay couples to marry?

that and along with all it will do is create another cultural elilte with a mission.

its got nothing to do with liberty and equality. Rather this is a cynical campaign of opportunistic moral grandstanding on the part of the cultural elite, which will end with gays being fobbed off with a pretty meaningless form of ‘marriage’ and married couples simultaneously finding the ancient institution they have signed up to being further drained of meaning.

It has everything to do with liberty and equality, gay couples will be able to marry and they will have the same legal status as straight couples who do so. The meaning of marriage to a couple isn't defined by who else is allowed to get married, it's up to them.

How was your massive generalisation supposed to justify not allowing gay couples to marry?

Gay relationships are qualitatively different from straight relationships. they understand sex differently; they have a different model for what partners means to them and their places in our lives. The fundamental model of marriage that most heterosexuals embrace--and famously proclaim as "family values"--just doesn't apply to them.

Heterosexual marriage is based around the emotional attractions of the opposite poles of the male-female polarity. This is about the complementarity of the organs of reproduction. The emotional bonding of man and woman fills the missing half of each in order to create the one whole being which then gives birth to new life. Heterosexual marriage is about bonding at the level of reproduction and subsequent creation of a nest and household in which to raise children.

The model of the family is traditionally hierarchical and structured. The male and female partners have roles specified for them by their sexual function in the relationship.

Gay relationships are not based on this kind of attraction at all. Sexual attraction is not about the complementarity of the physical organs. Gay people don't have sex in order to complete a bio-hormonal process.

Gay people don't see their partners as "other halves,"with body parts and traits and gender-defined roles that complete them.

What a load of tosh - did you get it from the back of a cornflakes packet or something?

I despair at the amount of envy and ignoring of sensible arguments that is still being exhibited on this thread.

Will all the pro marriage groups please have an open mind on the subject and show respect for those who wish to keep the present respected system.

As mentioned before the Gay Rights marche celebrates difference, why not also celebrate the difference in this context ?

I wonder how many of the pro group hold anti religious views ?

I despair at the amount of envy and ignoring of sensible arguments that is still being exhibited on this thread.

Will all the pro marriage groups please have an open mind on the subject and show respect for those who wish to keep the present respected system.

As mentioned before the Gay Rights marche celebrates difference, why not also celebrate the difference in this context ?

Whereas you use it as a justification to deny equal rights to gay people.

A fair few I would imagine, but certainly not all. As the polling data put forward by others on this thread shows, even a significant number of Christians support the rights of homosexuals to marry.

But you've got it backwards:

People like me have not taken up the cause of equality for homosexuals because we don't like religion.

We don't like religion precisely because of crap like this.

Archived