Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

Homosexual 'couples' are not the same as heterosexual couples, and should not expect to be treated the same.
No response to the "why not" queries ?

I'm afraid you can't just drop bombshells like this and walk away.

Unless you justify this position then we can only assume that it is based in unthinking bigotry.

No response to the "why not" queries ?

I'm afraid you can't just drop bombshells like this and walk away.

Unless you justify this position then we can only assume that it is based in unthinking bigotry.

You can assume what you will, or just turn it into insults if that flicks your switch.

Not everybody thinks homosexuality is the best thing since sliced bread. We all have a right to our opinion, and mine is that homosexual couples should not be afforded the same rights as heterosexual couples, because I do not see the need to recognise them as couples; they're not a natural partnership and that's the end of it in my view.

There are still many, many people who find public displays of homosexuality to be distasteful, but dare not speak up lest they be savaged by the pro-homosexuality luvvies (like those on SF, for example).

It's really not very long ago that homosexuality was universally considered to be disgusting and was of course illegal. There's been a trendy 'fad' in recent years to support/promote/get all fussy about homosexuality. We're battered with it every time we open a newspaper or turn on the tv, and frankly I have no time for it. I have no objection to homosexuals being what they are in private but their need to dramatise and publicise everything and make a big fuss, including trying to pervert the very union of marriage, just isn't on.

And as an aside, I don't see why my comment was a bombshell. I'd say at least 3/4 of the people I've ever known share a similar view.

You can assume what you will, or just turn it into insults if that flicks your switch.
I didn't say it was an insult.

However while making statements with no supporting arguments may not be intended to cause harm, if they are left unchallenged they could then be used by those who do seek to cause harm.

And if they are challenged and then left unjustified, then they can only be assumed to be the result of prejudice and their proliferation is at best inciting hatred.

Not everybody thinks homosexuality is the best thing since sliced bread. We all have a right to our opinion, and mine is that homosexual couples should not be afforded the same rights as heterosexual couples, because I do not see the need to recognise them as couples; they're not a natural partnership and that's the end of it in my view.
This may be your view, but you are stating it in a public forum and different legal rules apply.

No one says you have to like homosexuality, no one is denying you your opinion, but if you assert it as a fact on a public forum you need to provide some evidence.

Now fine this is your viewpoint, I can accept that as your viewpoint even though I disagree with it.

However you stated this as if it were a fact and not an opinion and as such it could not be allowed to stand.

There are still many, many people who find public displays of homosexuality to be distasteful, but dare not speak up lest they be savaged by the pro-homosexuality luvvies (like those on SF, for example).
I'm pretty much equal rights for all, not just homosexuals.

But again you state there are "many many people", there may be, but you failed to provide any evidence, is this an opinion ?

It's really not very long ago that homosexuality was universally considered to be disgusting
Again is this your opinion or do you have some evidence of this "universal" disgust
and was of course illegal.
This is true, then it was recognised that this was grossly unfair and the law was changed, if you would like it changed back write to your MP and explain why, I'm sure they would be delighted to hear from you.

The point is, it isn't illegal now, and now is when you are making your statements.

There's been a trendy 'fad' in recent years to support/promote/get all fussy about homosexuality. We're battered with it every time we open a newspaper or turn on the tv, and frankly I have no time for it. I have no objection to homosexuals being what they are in private but their need to dramatise and publicise everything and make a big fuss, including trying to pervert the very union of marriage, just isn't on.
We must read very different newspapers and watch very different news programs because the news I see has very little about homosexuality unless there has been an attack on a homosexual somewhere.

Further how exactly is it "perverting" the union of marriage ?

Redefining it, yes, but perverting is a very emotive word.

And as an aside, I don't see why my comment was a bombshell. I'd say at least 3/4 of the people I've ever known share a similar view.
It was a bombshell because it was stated as a fact and not an opinion and failed to provide any supporting evidence that your assertion was correct.

And just because 75% of the people you have met agree with your opinion doesn't put you in the majority and it doesn't make your opinion correct.

If you want to discuss moderating decisions then do it at the helpdesk please. If you are going to state things as 'facts' then be prepare to back them up by demonstrating links to reputable sources. If you wish to bicker or insult other forum members go elsewhere to do so.

If an opinion is based on experience like that of conrods 75-25% experience, how can that opinion be proved or disproved as a fact on this forum?...by producing the 75%?

As much as it galls me I haven't seen or read anything that conrod has said in the last couple of posts as "fact".

If an opinion is based on experience like that of conrods 75-25% experience, how can that opinion be proved or disproved as a fact on this forum?...by producing the 75%?
If he's expressing an opinion I'm fine with it, I may disagree and express my opinion, but I'm not going to demand proof unless he makes an assertion of something as a fact.

And as we don't know how many people he has met, his assertion that 75% of them are of like mind and that this somehow indicates a popular view is a false correlation, the two things are not necessarily linked, so it's anecdotal and meaningless as far as the topic goes.

My apologies if I didn't make it clear that I was dismissing that point.

As much as it galls me I haven't seen or read anything that conrod has said in the last couple of posts as "fact".
Well he did post that homosexuality was illegal once, that was correct, so he may have posted other things that were correct too.

If he's expressing an opinion I'm fine with it, I may disagree and express my opinion, but I'm not going to demand proof unless he makes an assertion of something as a fact.

And as we don't know how many people he has met, his assertion that 75% of them are of like mind and that this somehow indicates a popular view is a false correlation, the two things are not necessarily linked, so it's anecdotal and meaningless as far as the topic goes.

My apologies if I didn't make it clear that I was dismissing that point.Well he did post that homosexuality was illegal once, that was correct, so he may have posted other things that were correct too.

Quite correct. I also posted in response to Halibuts post that "a big stick or worse" as a euphemism that maybe we should go back to the days of attacking homosexuals with said stick to conrods "bombshell" statement...it didn't last though.

If percentages are unimportant then maybe the % mode should be removed from the poll feature as they're meaningless and anecdotal?

If you choose to express that opinion you can expect to have people ask you to justify it.

As it stands you appear to be a bigot, do you want to try to correct that apprehension by explaining?

Pro tolerance and freedom 'luvvies' I think you mean.

It's really not very long ago that homosexuality was universally considered to be disgusting and was of course illegal. There's been a trendy 'fad' in recent years to support/promote/get all fussy about homosexuality. We're battered with it every time we open a newspaper or turn on the tv, and frankly I have no time for it. I have no objection to homosexuals being what they are in private but their need to dramatise and publicise everything and make a big fuss, including trying to pervert the very union of marriage, just isn't on.

So unlike hetrosexuality you think they should have to keep it hidden. Or do you have a problem with straight couples getting married as well?

They at least try to justify it with foolishness about procreation.

Homosexual 'couples' are not the same as heterosexual couples, and should not expect to be treated the same.

troll.

They are human beings just the same as you or I (well, *I*) and deserve the same rights and same treatment.

If you choose to express that opinion you can expect to have people ask you to justify it.

As it stands you appear to be a bigot, do you want to try to correct that apprehension by explaining?

Pro tolerance and freedom 'luvvies' I think you mean.

So unlike hetrosexuality you think they should have to keep it hidden. Or do you have a problem with straight couples getting married as well?

They at least try to justify it with foolishness about procreation.

Like freedom of expression?

What if i say i think all homos a sick and need locking up or that the muslims have the right idea and its the only thing im totaly in agreement then on?

What would you say then?

Archived