Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

Why would homosexuals wish to get married in a Church?

They can get a civil partnership in a non religious building.

The Church don't like homosexuals and do not condone their behaviour. Marriage is something offered by the Church for a man and a woman to enter into a union.

The only people whom should want to get married in a Church are Christian couples.

If you are non religious you should opt for a civil partnership, be you straight/gay.

Maybe they don't. Maybe they want to get married in a registry office ... or a stately home ... or a football stadium.

My wife and I were married on a lakeside beach. Why should any church authority be allowed to decide whether we, or anyone else, is allowed to do that? The Church doesn't own the beaches.

Religion has nothing to do with race. Catholicism is found all across Africa, in large parts of South America, in China and every place in between.

Aye, I agree entirely. Just playing a silly game HeadingNorth. I believe I may need to quote your post at some point in the future.

Maybe they don't. Maybe they want to get married in a registry office ... or a stately home ... or a football stadium.

My wife and I were married on a lakeside beach. Why should any church authority be allowed to decide whether we, or anyone else, is allowed to do that? The Church doesn't own the beaches.

Why the big thing about marriage in Churches then? There's plenty of other options. Why force the Church to do something against its principles...Not you personally, BTW...

Its funny how many people want to get married in a church but have no interest ,or so it seems,in christianity ,they will probably only go twice in their lives, to get married and to be buried, but obviously the latter wouldnt be in their lives before some smart individual comments on the fact.

They can get a civil partnership in a non religious building.

The Church don't like homosexuals and do not condone their behaviour. Marriage is something offered by the Church for a man and a woman to enter into a union.

The only people whom should want to get married in a Church are Christian couples.

If you are non religious you should opt for a civil partnership, be you straight/gay.

Marriage is something offered by the state. The fact that it can take place in a church is beside the point.

It's entirely possible for a wedding to be non-religious. The religious element of this argument misses the point entirely.

Is that not important?

Would it be totally fine if a black man and a white women were told they couldn't get married, but they could have a civil partnership?

To many people the word "married" is not important, but my initial question was to Halibut who stated that gay couples who have a civil partnership were not allowed the same rights as a married couple. I do not know of any rights that they are not allowed, that's why I asked, now if the only difference is that they are not allowed the word "married" then I do not see what all the fuss is about.

Why you would want to bring race into this is beyond me :huh:

Civil partnerships are at least recognized by the authorities, unlike paganism where their hand fasting is not even recognized.

So, things aint that bad for the gays is it?

Edited by Skirmisher