Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

Absolutely right and what I am stating is that it is not sexuality but gender that makes the difference.

You're not arguing that people be treated differently because of their gender - you think men should be able to marry and you think women should be able to marry.

You are arguing that men and women should not be able to marry people of the same sex - so it is about sexuality and not gender.

I must admit that there is a certain amount of pleasure to be gained by seeing the anti same sex marriages brigade squirm with each reply. The ironic thing is it's going to happen in the next 2-3 years, allowing civil partnership was just the start of the process that will end with full rights of marriage, of that I'm sure.

No squirming at all just statements that you do not agree with.

But why should the law be changed when there is seperate legislation to fit different criteria ?

Why was the law changed relatively recently to make it illegal for a husband to rape his wife? Society moves on, times change, what becomes acceptable and unacceptable evolves. The law should be changed because by and large, we want to live in a free and fair society.

You're not arguing that people be treated differently because of their gender - you think men should be able to marry and you think women should be able to marry.

You are arguing that men and women should not be able to marry people of the same sex - so it is about sexuality and not gender.

People of the opposite gender marry.

People of the same gender enter into civil partnerships.

People of the opposite gender marry.

People of the same gender enter into civil partnerships.

You've just restated your position not repudiated my explanation of why it is discriminatory.

Why was the law changed relatively recently to make it illegal for a husband to rape his wife? Society moves on, times change, what becomes acceptable and unacceptable evolves. The law should be changed because by and large, we want to live in a free and fair society.

For the last time a man and a woman is not the same as a man and a man or woman and woman.

Marriage is for people of the opposite gender and because of the difference have the ability to reproduce.

For the last time a man and a woman is not the same as a man and a man or woman and woman.

Marriage is for people of the opposite gender and because of the difference have the ability to reproduce.

No it isn't and what's the ability to reproduce got to do with anything?

You've just restated your position not repudiated my explanation of why it is discriminatory.

Again for the last time.

If a man could marry a man but a woman could not marry a woman that would be discrimination. Same gender, different rights.

Where the difference lies is that this cannot be aligned to people of different gender, man and woman. A basic difference is that a man and woman can reproduce whereas the same sex couple cannot.

You asked me why should the law be changed to allow same sex couples to marry, I was answering you!

Perhaps you can answer my question I asked earlier. Why can't the law cannot ignore the differences between homosexuals and heterosexuals and allow same sex marriages?

Archived