Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

harvey19 has found a snug little corner to defend his views, and his shields seem to be a base truth and endless tautology. Men and women are different, that is true. Men and women marry, that is true.

That doesn't conclude that gay people shouldn't marry though.

How can a gay couple marry if there is not one partner of the opposite sex to the other ?

How clearer can I put it that the criteria for marriage is a man and woman joining together.

If the union is for hetrosexual couples why would an homosexual couple wish to be associated with it ?

How can a gay couple marry if there is not one partner of the opposite sex to the other ?

How clearer can I put it that the criteria for marriage is a man and woman joining together.

If the union is for hetrosexual couples why would an homosexual couple wish to be associated with it ?

so if the criteria changed you'd be fine with it?

There is nothing anti gay in my attitude or arguments.

Just plain facts, which some posters choose to ignore.

Simple question, Is a man different to a woman ?

I agree with this.

What he's saying isn't so much about discrimination but more over his own beliefs about what marriage is. He's already stated that he has no argument with the same sex becoming a partnership so he cannot be confused with a homophobe.

Black people are a different colour to white people.

A black man is a different gender to a black or white woman.

This debate is not about colour but gender.

I find the rest of your answers flawed and a way to justify your position without objectively considering all factors.

So black people and white people are different, just like hetrosexual and homosexual couples are different. That difference doesn't justify discrimination in either case though.

We know what the debate is about, do you understand what an analogy is or are you just being obtuse?

I agree with this.

What he's saying isn't so much about discrimination but more over his own beliefs about what marriage is. He's already stated that he has no argument with the same sex becoming a partnership so he cannot be confused with a homophobe.

Neither he nor his religion own marriage though, so what makes him think that he has a say about what it means, particularly when his 'say' is that it should discriminate?

It's tautology. Marriage is between man and woman because, and only because, same-sex marriage isn't allowed.

At last you see the point.

Marriage is for opposite sex partners.

Civil partnership is for same sex partners.

Unions between different types of couples are equal but different ceremoies.