Gay marriage - 'shameful'?

I have arrived at my own conclusions too, about Gay marriage in churches.

Am i allowed to have a view?

Certainly, but you should probably find a thread that is about gay marriage in churches, rather than the legal status of marriage.

It's funny how it's the left wing liberals who are the most intolerant people in society! Anyway who disagrees with them just gets the words bigot and homophobe screamed at them over and over again.

So you're saying again that anyone who identifies someone's behaviour as homophobic or bigoted is by definition intolerant for pointing it out? You think that the only way to be tolerant is to tolerate bigots and homophobia rather than challenging it?

Definately one is what one is, and I think if a lot of the bickering was removed from this thread we would have a better understanding on why we differ on certain matters.

Homophobia and discrimination don't figure in my reasons.

It doesn't matter what you believe your justification is, what you are supporting is discrimination.

But can a man marry several wives legally in this country ?

According to your logic if it's alright abroad it should be alright here.

It should be something that we could consider without having to repudiate the argument.

Polygamy is wrong because the law doesn't allow polygamy.

That kind of circular argument when considering whether the law should be changed is time wasting and pointless.

No, polygamy is illegal here, but that isn't my logic. I'd argue for it being illegal here with reasons, not tautology.

There are arguments for making it legal, but I wouldn't agree with them. A man building up an harem (which seems to be the natural state of polygamous marriage) tends to be unjust, in my view. It places wives at a disadvantage.

Two men marrying is not unjust to anyone. There are no sensible reasons against it.

You have completely ignored the first part of my post which answers your question.

I have found throughout this thread that basic facts are ignored but opinions abound.

Was your fly fishing example a double entendre ?

Only just noticed the extra bit.

Because Canada allow something it does not automatically follow that another will change its laws and traditions to accomodate a minority of its citizens who do not fit the criteria for the present system and who have their own form of commitment and union.

My reasoning was not that we should allow gay marriage because Canada allows gay marriage. I was just wondering why you take a 'men cannot marry' attitude when those people live in the UK, but the opposite view when the people live in another country.

Equally, at the risk of confusing you even more; I think polygamy is wrong in whatever country it is in. It can be UK, Iran or the moon - my view on a subject doesn't change when local laws are involved.

These unions are titled differently because they are different types of union.

If they had different names would you like them more? ;)

Marriage and same-sex marriage, for example?

You have completely ignored the first part of my post which answers your question.

I have found throughout this thread that basic facts are ignored but opinions abound.

Was your fly fishing example a double entendre ?

I didn't see it.

What facts?

Not consciously.

Archived