Attercliffe road

so was it called the palace, and the globe ? of late ? as i need information on my grandad working there ( tommy knight ) himself and my nan ( phylis ) lived on carbrooke street in the 1940s . and my late dad graham , his brothers brian and thomas all lived in that area , as i am just trying to trace my dads roots . thanks for the help .

The Regal was at the Bottom of Staniforth Road and stood where the recessed shops now stand.

The Adelphi still stands.

The Globe was on Attercliffe Road opposite Don Valley Stadium.

The Pavillion was further down on the opposite side of the Road.

The Palace is the carpet shop shown in the picture, (the empty pub was the Queens) The Palace was not a Cinema it was one of the last Music Halls. (mentioned by Spike Milligan.)

Does anyone remember Mrs Myers who used to have little shop at bottom of Oakes Green near Slitting Mill Lane? My parents lived at No. 3 Slitting Mill Lane until I was 4 in 1955 but we used to go back to visit our neighbour who I called Mammy Birch, lovely Irish lady and her husband was called Bill. They had a daughter who was married and son who was in army

My Mum worked in the pay box at the Attercliffe Palace could your grandad have been the door man, he used to wear a very smart uniform.;) She also worked at the Pavillion. There is a carpet shop on Staniforth Road that used to be the Balfour picture house.

sorry but my grandad worked down treeton pit for 53 years .but i used to go to a cinema where the light shop is now at darnall.We called it the darnall dick.and round the corner from the victory club was the Lyric cinema

I remember being walked along Attercliffe Road/ Common from Staniforth Road to Carbrook, in the sixties/ early seventies, and I remember going past a cinema, on the right hand side, as I had my back to the city, which had loads of "bollywood" type posters outside. As far as I can remember, it had about three or four doorways,.

I remember being walked along Attercliffe Road/ Common from Staniforth Road to Carbrook, in the sixties/ early seventies, and I remember going past a cinema, on the right hand side, as I had my back to the city, which had loads of "bollywood" type posters outside. As far as I can remember, it had about three or four doorways,.

That would be the Pavillion, as you looked at it from the front there was an emergency exit on the left hand side, we used to sneak down there, open the door into the cinema a crack and slide in. Saw lots of films I wasnt supposed to that way.

This was in the late 50s early 60s. Long before anyone had heard of "Bollywood".

Archived