Attercliffe road

can some one please tell me . what the old theatre/cinema was called in the 1940s/50s . that is now called the carpet mill on attercliffe road , sheffield , as i am trying to do research on my grandad thomas knight , who used to work there , or does any one know of any Knights , whome used to live around there at that time . thanks ,

Palace theatre it was called, saw many a Pantomime there

Went to the Palace many times for shows including pantos. I remember the orchestra conductor was called Jack Chard. I once saw Harry Seecombe on TV and when talking about some of the theatres he had performed in he mentioned the Palace Attercliffe.

• 6 months later...
I remember being walked along Attercliffe Road/ Common from Staniforth Road to Carbrook, in the sixties/ early seventies, and I remember going past a cinema, on the right hand side, as I had my back to the city, which had loads of "bollywood" type posters outside. As far as I can remember, it had about three or four doorways,.

That was definitely the Pavilion(or as we knew it the "Pav"). This was at the top of our street,Leigh Street. I was born at number 46. The "carpet place" was the Attercliffe Palace, where they used to show "cheeky women"...nude. All unmoving and in the best possible taste. There were other acts of course, jugglers,magicians, dancers,comedians, speciality acts. The Globe was a bit further towards town from the Pav and on the opposite side of the road with Maltby St. school behind it.The cinema on Staniforth Rd was, as has been said, the Regal.The carpet shop on Staniforth road was the Balfour then there was a small cinema at the junction of Greenland Rd and(I think)Darnall Rd called,appropriately, the Darnall Cinema.

Archived