Has anyone here been to Suffolk?

Clacton is in Essex and I wouldn't particularly recommend it, but neighbouring Jaywick is worth a look just for the experience :hihi: Have a pint in the Never Say Die pub if you dare.

Or go to this pub which is much nicer:

http://www.theeelsfootinn.co.uk/

Jaywick is essentially a shanty town that's below sea level. Clacton is dying, Harwich is already dead and Frinton is the undead! That is the Tendring Hundreds of Essex in a nutshell.

As to pubs, the best Suffolk pub I've been in is the Dove Street Inn in Ipswich, which really is one of the top real ale pubs in the UK.

If we are going over the border into Essex then my old local Odd One Out in Colchester is worth a look if you like real ale pubs that haven't changed since the 1950's.

http://www.dovestreetinn.co.uk/

Frinton-on-Sea is alright if you want to see everything that is repellent about rich people (and before you kick off, one of my best mates runs the only pub in Frinton)

Walton-on-the-Naze is much better then snobby old Frinton.

Of course waltons better, it's got, or had a tres awesome pie and mash shop ! Only been to frinton once, Walton loads of times.

Just offering balance !

I'm from Suffolk and don't get back as often as I would like. Sudbury and the surrounding villages are nice, lovely walks around that area. Woodbridge is worth a visit to the Tidemill and along the estuary - there are some lovely teashops there. Aldeburgh for the best fish and chips - you will see the queue before you see the shop. Thorpeness (which is literally up the road from Aldeburgh) is great if you have children (and even if you don't!) - there is a boating mere that is JM Barrie themed. You can hire rowing boats and visit all the islands - Wendy's House, the Lost Boys Island etc. Have fun!

Of course waltons better, it's got, or had a tres awesome pie and mash shop ! Only been to frinton once, Walton loads of times.

Just offering balance !

Frinton only got it's 1st fish & chips shop in 1992 and it's only pub in 1998. That's how backwards Frinton is. It's great for overpriced antiques shops if you like that sort of thing.

As to Pie & Mash, it's one of those odd things where people in Essex really do look down on it even though it is the county dish. Compare that to Rotherham, where I seem to end up with Pie & Peas every time I visit!

I've been to Suffolk a few times. Bury St Edmunds is a fantastic little town. If you visit, don't forget to go into Abbey Gardens to see the remains of the abbey and the gatehouse. I'd also recommend the little village of Framlingham and it's castle. It was Mary Tudors residence before she became queen. The Anglo Saxon ship burial at Sutton Hoo is also in Suffolk near Woodbridge. Well worth a visit if you're interested in history. If you like shopping etc, then Thetford on the Norfolk border isn't too far away and Colchester in Essex isn't too far either. :)

Long Melford is another good day out, it has a Hall and a fine church, and the village is very pretty. You could also take in the nearby villages of Clare and Cavendish where you can see great examples of the decorative plasterwork known as pargetting.

Archived