Poll bye bye bbc

should the bbc/tv licence be scrapped  

112 members have voted

1. 1. should the bbc/tv licence be scrapped

• yes i would like to get rid of the licence fee and bbc
    • no i would like to keep it as it is

To quote Jim Royle, "Detector vans my arse!" :hihi:

If you watch anything on BBC1, 2, 3 or 4 or even listen to BBC Radio on your TV you need by LAW to have bought and paid for a TV license, and because you pay for your TV license, the BBC channels don't have annoying adverts like commercial channels such as ITV etc.

My question is, what law says you have to have a license to watch TV? I mean. I know there is an ACT on it. But no law?

Official laws in this country are called "The Such-and-Such Act 1983" and similar. I don't know exactly which Act of Parliament made it a criminal offence not to have a TV licence (under the circumstances that require one!) ... but given the number of people convicted and fined, clearly there is one.

TV Licensing. Why?

So that a middle-class Liberal elite can live extremely comfortable lives at the expense of some of the most disadvantaged and vulnerable people in society. Mark Thompson, BBC Director General, for example. He is paid a salary of many hundreds of thousands of pounds each year, yet he still insists that the BBC TV Licence fee payer purchases his tv licences (he has many properties).

And a full Sky subscription.

The very wealthy men and women at the BBC have nothing but contempt for the ordinary licence fee payer. They have resisted tooth and nail letting their customers know how the licence fee money is actually spent.

The BBC wants our cash but doesn't think that we should know what it does with it.

..If you watch anything on BBC1, 2, 3 or 4 or even listen to BBC Radio on your TV you need by LAW to have bought and paid for a TV license..

This is factually incorrect.

You can legally own and use a TV without requiring a TV license. All you need one of those for is to

Watch TV programmes as they are being broadcast.

Nothing more.

You can listen to radio, watch recorded TV and even catch up tv, quite legally without a TV license and many thousands of UK citizens do every day.

Plus. If you don't watch live TV you don't need a licence correct? Surely you could just delay your TV by 5 mins and it isn't live?

The TV licence, in common with all forms of radio communications (with the exception of those specific pieces of equipment that are exempted by law), require the user of the equipment to have a licence to use that equipment to send or recieve communications using that equipment.

If you are going to delay a live broadcast through some method, you are still going to be recieving that transmission as it is broadcast, and that equipment will need a licence to operate.

It's also illegal for you to get your neighbour with his TV licence to record programmes for you to watch once it's finished recording (this is under copyright laws - you are only allowed to make recordings of live broadcasts for your own timeshifting purposes, not for distribution to others or for archival).

Archived