Poll bye bye bbc

should the bbc/tv licence be scrapped  

112 members have voted

1. 1. should the bbc/tv licence be scrapped

• yes i would like to get rid of the licence fee and bbc
    • no i would like to keep it as it is

I remember a time of choosing not to have a TV, and when I had a TV and was either too busy or too uninterested to turn it on, so I doubt that the world would end if I had to get rid of it now.

I'd certainly get a lot more books read :)

Morning Denlin.

I agree with what you have said, I am 53 and I don't remember us not having a tv set. However when we were young we used to play outside while ever it was light enough so we were not brought up like the younger people these days who spend their life either in front of the tv or the computer.

We don't have Sky either we have freeview and even that is more than enough for us. Our tv is never on during the day, we always have the radio on and even then it is the BBC Radio 2 for us.

We put our tv on at 5pm and watch The Chase which is ITV then turn over for the 6 o'clock news and Look North, followed by The One Show all BBC.

Then if there is nothing on we want to watch (we are quite selective and never watch soaps) we turn it off and will read or play scrabble or othe things until there is either something on we like or we go to bed.

So yes I say keep the BBC and I for one don't mind paying the fee, although we do it monthly by direct debit as it is easier.

Looking at the result of your poll most people agree with this.

We pay ours by direct Debit as well CC. I don't watch soaps but I do like some of the BBC morning programmes but not all. We like the Grand Prix but can't watch it all this year as some of it is on SKY and the only ITV Programme I really like is Dancing on Ice - I'd like Daniel to win as he's Yorkshire but that's with the heart, my head says Jorgie and Matthew

six episodes of top gear is worth £150, i could get the dvd for what ? a tenner ?

How you gunna buy a DVD of a program that probably wouldn't exist in it's current form if the BBC were no longer funded how it is?

What DVD can you buy now from commercial enterprises that is equivalent?

the thing is if we got rid of the licence fee, you could subscribe to all your channels and i could subscribe to what i want,

Then the cost would go up, for everyone.

The only show I know that has recently switched to Sky is the F1 coverage. Having just looked at their website, the best price I can see seems to be at least twice that of the BBC.

Frozen Planet - that was worth the fee itself, add to that all the other David Attenborough programme, the brilliant drama's they do, the nautral history programmes, Yes the BBC is worth it.

YOU liked Frozen Planet, so you think it fair that everyone has to pay for YOU to watch it. If the BBC channels were encrypted like many other channels, you would have the option to pay to watch what you like. Many of us who choose to watch other channels have to pay for the channels we watch and are also by law forced to pay for programs YOU choose to watch. Surely it would be fairer to allow people to pay for the BBC if they want to watch it, and allow people to opt out if they want to. Why should you expect people who only want to watch Sky Sports to subsidise your choice of channel just because it is called BBC?

The BBC should be subscription based... so people can choose whether they think it is worth paying for or not. According to the pro-BBC people on this thread, their channels are priceless so surely they would make more money by going encrypted?

How many more times. The licence fee is not just for what is on television.

It covers all the local and national radio services, online services, part payment towards the digital switchover (including helping out some of the commercial channels) and a whole load of operations and public services most people dont think about.

The BBC also has remit to produce proper local programming on tv and radio. Look at the shambles that happened when ITV got greedy and kept merging and merging their regions together. On ITV people as far distant as Whitby down as far as Lincolnshire are stuck with the same regional news..... why? becuase it wasn't profitable.

Get rid of the bbc and you get rid of any proper public service broadcasting. No more subtitled services, no more signed broadcasts, no more special interest programmes, no more impartial and uninfluenced broadcasts, no more commercial free broadcasting, no more regional broadcasting, no more local news services..... why? because some prat in a suit would complain they are not making a profit.

If it was any other kind of public service I wonder if some of these posters would be as quick to try to abolish this "tax" and cut its funding.

Archived