Gas help!! Needed but no help about

Why do you think he is a qulified gas installer. Has he done a 4 year apprenticeship or maybe one of the newer shorter on the job training courses.

That is not required.

If a man has passed all the required qualifications, all he has to do is a period with a qualified man, and be able to show good examples of his work, and good knowledge of gas safe working and he will become qualified.

This is not nuclear physics we are talking about.

It about moving gas from one place to another, burning it, and disposing of its exhaust safely.

Give the guy a break, at least he is trying, and not sat blabbing on internet forums all day, while drawing his dole, like most of of you.

A bit off topic.

I recently wanted a new gas hob installed and bought one that fitted the hole in the worktop and did what we wanted.

The registered installer that does our gas boiler service was asked to fit it.

He refused as it overlapped by an inch each side with the overhead cupboards and according to the regs it would be an illegal installation.

Would a non registered installer know that?

Fortunately, the shop accepted a return and I got my money back.

I think this guy would have, as he says he has been installing for 6 years.

The newer men are more likely to be safer than the old hand, as they know the modern rules.

Qualification and registration is no indicator of ability you know.

You have hit the nail on the head. Why do people think that because they can cut and solder copper pipe they are able to be a gasfitter.

It might be different in other European countries but as far as I was aware we have always had a strong distinction between the two.

I appreciate that there are different specialities to apply for within the overall Gas industry but it leaves it open for the unsrcupulous to advertise "Gas Safe" when their certification is for pipework but they are asked to do some appliance maintenance.

That is not required.

If a man has passed all the required qualifications, all he has to do is a period with a qualified man, and be able to show good examples of his work, and good knowledge of gas safe working and he will become qualified.

It about moving gas from one place to another, burning it, and disposing of its exhaust safely.

Give the guy a break, at least he is trying, and not sat blabbing on internet forums all day, while drawing his dole, like most of of you.

Yes it is not nuclear physics and I appreciate that, but by his own admission he is a plumber and has done that work for several years. I think I would be very concerned if he turned up at my house to fit a new gas boiler and gas fire having done some plumbing and spent a short amount of time with a qualified gas fitter taking photos of work done.

You have hit the nail on the head. Why do people think that because they can cut and solder copper pipe they are able to be a gasfitter.

It might be different in other European countries but as far as I was aware we have always had a strong distinction between the two.

I appreciate that there are different specialities to apply for within the overall Gas industry but it leaves it open for the unsrcupulous to advertise "Gas Safe" when their certification is for pipework but they are asked to do some appliance maintenance.

Appliance maintenance and gas fitting are two completely different things.

A two bob plumber can be a gas fitter.

But to be heating engineer, or a combustion engineer is a completely different thing, by orders of magnitude.

All this guy wants, it seems, is to be a gas fitter.

And I support him in that, but he needs to tidy his English up a bit.

But he can write English a lot better than I can Polish, for instance.

He is qualified, and all you slagging him are not, so cut some slack, OK?

I think this guy would have, as he says he has been installing for 6 years.

The newer men are more likely to be safer than the old hand, as they know the modern rules.

Qualification and registration is no indicator of ability you know.

He said he's been a plumber for 6 years.

An old hand that is not registered or qualified won't have knowledge of the regulations which means that the work won't be certified and when you come to sell your home problems can arise.

No registration means any cowboy can install your boiler, flue or gas fire.

Also from my reference:

Registration with Gas Safe Register is a legal requirement for anyone carrying out gas work in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey. To register, you must hold a recognised qualification for the areas of gas work that you intend to carry out.

Appliance maintenance and gas fitting are two completely different things.

A two bob plumber can be a gas fitter.

But to be heating engineer, or a combustion engineer is a completely different thing, by orders of magnitude.

All this guy wants, it seems, is to be a gas fitter.

And I support him in that, but he needs to tidy his English up a bit.

But he can write English a lot better than I can Polish, for instance.

He is qualified, and all you slagging him are not, so cut some slack, OK?

Wrong on one point, many years ago I did a four year apprenticeship in Gas fitting which was overseen and examined by what was then the CGLI.

I know that I have the ability to fit pipework but I am forbidden (rightly so)from carrying out appliance fitting and maintenance as I am not upto date on the latest regs.

He said he's been a plumber for 6 years.

An old hand that is not registered or qualified won't have knowledge of the regulations which means that the work won't be certified and when you come to sell your home problems can arise.

No registration means any cowboy can install your boiler, flue or gas fire.

Also from my reference:

Registration with Gas Safe Register is a legal requirement for anyone carrying out gas work in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey. To register, you must hold a recognised qualification for the areas of gas work that you intend to carry out.

I agree completely.

Hope your plumbing (and future gas work) is better than your command of the English language mate.

Angel.

Why??

Polish plumbers seem to do rather well speaking broken English.And i doubt their grammar would be up to scratch..

That is not required.

Well said.................................

Archived