Anyone been seen by atos and kept incapacity benefit/esa?

People refer to Blunkett, Hawkins, Pistorious etc as they know they will be names that people recognise and will illustrate their point - impact is not the same is they discuss the neighbour who works at the local coop or the friend who is in their office.............but that is not to say they do not exist.

But it doesn't really illustrate a point - the fact that some exceptional people have made it in very niche environments does not illustrate that it is an option available to all or even many. You can't extrapolate from the specific to the general.

Is it too simplistic to assume people who are able to post on an internet forum would therefore be perfectly able to operate a keyboard in a work environment ?????????? Just asking !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is too simplistic. For example said person my have, say, ME and be posting from bed on a laptop for few minutes a day they can actually use a computer without it causing too much pain and disorientation.

Just answering.

Yes it is too simplistic. For example said person my have, say, ME and be posting from bed on a laptop for few minutes a day they can actually use a computer without it causing too much pain and disorientation.

Just answering.

ME sufferers can only manage a few minutes a day ??????? and there choice of spending that precious time is on an internet forum discussing incapacity benefit ?????????

ME sufferers can only manage a few minutes a day ??????? and there choice of spending that precious time is on an internet forum discussing incapacity benefit ?????????

Some can only manage a few minutes a day yes - some can't manage even that. And why should they not spend time on an internet forum discussing incapacity benefit - it's obviously going to be a topic of interest to them.

Some can only manage a few minutes a day yes - some can't manage even that. And why should they not spend time on an internet forum discussing incapacity benefit - it's obviously going to be a topic of interest to them.

Im not sure that argument would sit well with the people making the deliberations ..... if it was down to me I would contact every internet forum user that isnt in work and apply the test to establish if they would be available for work at home opportunities.

Im not sure that argument would sit well with the people making the deliberations ..... if it was down to me I would contact every internet forum user that isnt in work and apply the test to establish if they would be available for work at home opportunities.

Only if they don't understand the concept of the fluctuating condition or treatment practices in M.E. And luckily things aren't up to you as you quite obviously understand neither of these.

Far too many "disabilities" are in the mind or part of someone's personality.

There's no explanation for how someone who is able to raise a family/ dig his garden over at the weekend/go shopping/feed himself is unable to work.

Not being in work is a state of mind for a lot of people.

For so many years people have been pushed into dla/ib as a way of massaging unemployment figures.

The idea that you can buy 10 tenants super a day and drink yourself stupid and receive 180£ a week benefit, a free house and absolutely no mandatory rehab is beyond belief.

Surely, if it wasn't so easy to get something for nothing then less people would try it.

People who "don't think they are up to work" should visit 3rd world Asian countries like china to see 90 year olds, who can't stand up straight due to arthritis and a lifetime of hard work, planting rice paddies from dawn til dusk every day. Why do they do it? Because if they didn't they wouldn't eat.

Conversely, I enjoy living in a country that looks after the most vulnerable and should I ever need it, through illness or accident, will provide for me.

The price of a few million fraudsters/spongers is worth paying as long as it means no one in genuine need slips through the system.

it is just a shame attitudes can't be changed and people have so little self respect/belief that they would rather endure the humiliation and hassle of being a burden on society for a bank payment every two weeks, than go out and provide for their family.

yes I enjoy having an incurable disease it is great fun.

using a keyboard for five to ten minutes is not the same as working an eight hour day

and how do you know after being at said keyboard that person is not coughing their lungs up for another hour as they were unfortunate to have worked with asbestos

Far too many "disabilities" are in the mind or part of someone's personality.

There's no explanation for how someone who is able to raise a family/ dig his garden over at the weekend/go shopping/feed himself is unable to work.

Not being in work is a state of mind for a lot of people.

For so many years people have been pushed into dla/ib as a way of massaging unemployment figures.

The idea that you can buy 10 tenants super a day and drink yourself stupid and receive 180£ a week benefit, a free house and absolutely no mandatory rehab is beyond belief.

Surely, if it wasn't so easy to get something for nothing then less people would try it.

People who "don't think they are up to work" should visit 3rd world Asian countries like china to see 90 year olds, who can't stand up straight due to arthritis and a lifetime of hard work, planting rice paddies from dawn til dusk every day. Why do they do it? Because if they didn't they wouldn't eat.

Conversely, I enjoy living in a country that looks after the most vulnerable and should I ever need it, through illness or accident, will provide for me.

The price of a few million fraudsters/spongers is worth paying as long as it means no one in genuine need slips through the system.

it is just a shame attitudes can't be changed and people have so little self respect/belief that they would rather endure the humiliation and hassle of being a burden on society for a bank payment every two weeks, than go out and provide for their family.

Hi Teddybare, this thread is about people who feel that the 'safety net' has failed them and the fact that ATOS are not fit for purpose. Even with lung cancer and rheumatoid arthritis I failed the ATOS examination. INCREDIBLE but true. I said sod it, and battle on working what hours I can manage whilst taking industrial strength painkillers and steroids. I feel 'let down' by the system. Luckily I can manage financially.

Dont believe we live in a society who looks after its vulnerable and disabled, we dont. Consultants and Oncologists reports are disregarded in favour of a load of tosh from the charlatans at ATOS. My pride got the better of me. i was advised to fight the decisions but the paltry amount of benefit meant it wasn't worth it. Had I been a younger person supporting a family I wouldn't have known which way to turn. A caring society.......what a laugh....

Archived