Anyone been seen by atos and kept incapacity benefit/esa?

hi nimrod always surprises me on here how how many people have x ray eyes and think that they are doctors we know the system is flawed

to be honest if this goverment had not changed the pension goal post yet again I would not have fought as only had eighteen months to go but now it is another 6 years so am left no choice

teddybare why do you assume that everyone is an alcoholic?

most people are not

and I do not receive a free house have to pay towards my rent and have to pay bills like everyone else

People refer to Blunkett, Hawkins, Pistorious etc as they know they will be names that people recognise and will illustrate their point - impact is not the same is they discuss the neighbour who works at the local coop or the friend who is in their office.............but that is not to say they do not exist.

exactly , I could mention other people by name but

1. you wouldn't know who they were .

2. it would be breaching the confidence or friends and /or patients .

even saying that there is someone with <condition x > who works for <company y > at <place z> can be a breach of confidentiality if it makes them identifiable...

But it doesn't really illustrate a point - the fact that some exceptional people have made it in very niche environments does not illustrate that it is an option available to all or even many. You can't extrapolate from the specific to the general.

plenty of people with visual impairments work , and modern assistive technology makes it all the easier , you can connect braille writers to a computer as a printer, you can have screen readers and Speech to text / text to speech software,

plenty of people with physical disabilities work what stops an amputee, a paraplegic, someone with spina bifida or even a c6 -c8/t1 tetraplegic from doing most office based jobs ...

people would l say i was lying if I told them I know a tetraplegic wheelchair salesman - but there is one out there

again it's starting to border on breaching confidentiality but i've met a paraplegic gunsmith / armourer,

my deputy head of year who was also the lead teacher for food technology/ home economics at secondary school was a paraplegic

Been to atol

2day had 2 wait 2hours before being seen what a load of rot

not interested in my illness just asked if i could dress myself

and if i could bend and touch my knees got to wait now if im

fit for work im 64 now so see what happens xx

plenty of people with visual impairments work , and modern assistive technology makes it all the easier , you can connect braille writers to a computer as a printer, you can have screen readers and Speech to text / text to speech software,

plenty of people with physical disabilities work what stops an amputee, a paraplegic, someone with spina bifida or even a c6 -c8/t1 tetraplegic from doing most office based jobs ...

people would l say i was lying if I told them I know a tetraplegic wheelchair salesman - but there is one out there

again it's starting to border on breaching confidentiality but i've met a paraplegic gunsmith / armourer,

my deputy head of year who was also the lead teacher for food technology/ home economics at secondary school was a paraplegic

Using your logic, a quadraplegic can work........as a Bingo caller.

In a society where we cant even employ all our fit and able people its strange when people expect the disabled to work. Its fine if they CHOOSE to work, but they should recieve a little bit of compassion and understanding. Many are in varying degrees of pain, bad arthritics etc. Amputees are as well, the artificial limbs cause soreness.

I can see where Cameron and Co get their attitude from when loads of morons out there cant even begin to understand how crap it is to be disabled.

I chose to work [****** off by ATOS and the DWP], I work 4 hours a day and arrive home knackered and in pain. Social life is severely affected by fatigue, as is every part of my life. Walking and wildlife photography were my hobbies, now I have to use my car more and more and access to countryside/woods is getting more difficult.

I could go on for ever but...................Maybe if certain posters became disabled themselves..............:roll:

Been to atol

2day had 2 wait 2hours before being seen what a load of rot

not interested in my illness just asked if i could dress myself

and if i could bend and touch my knees got to wait now if im

fit for work im 64 now so see what happens xx

I wish you the best of luck mate, but dont hold your breath......

yes I enjoy having an incurable disease it is great fun.

using a keyboard for five to ten minutes is not the same as working an eight hour day

and how do you know after being at said keyboard that person is not coughing their lungs up for another hour as they were unfortunate to have worked with asbestos

Using a keyboard for 5-10 mins on and off all day from 8.30am til 5pm (as you have been doing) is a lot more than some people do at work.

I'm not saying you are fit for work, we have never met. I apologise for any offence.

I also agree that having any terminal illness should exempt you from mandatory work. Saying that, there will always be people who struggle on and those who give up.

My grandad had most of his vertebra fused at 24 and died at 51 after years living with leukaemia. He used to return to work after chemo treatments and missed a total of 4 weeks of work during his life. His brother in law was medically retired at 48 due to arthritic hip pain. Same job. Different mentality.

Every time I hear people complain about M.E. I can't help thinking of the Ricky gervais joke.

Back to topic- although they are grasping corporate scumbags, if atos says people are fit for some kind of work, 99% of those people will be.

If it's a matter of opinion, for example someone who is scared of crowds, then why should they receive any more than job seekers allowance.

People should stop fighting to be labelled disabled and focus on overcoming their difficulties.

Have faith that anyone deserving will "pass" the necessary health exam to receive benefits.

Using a keyboard for 5-10 mins on and off all day from 8.30am til 5pm (as you have been doing) is a lot more than some people do at work.

I'm not saying you are fit for work, we have never met. I apologise for any offence.

I also agree that having any terminal illness should exempt you from mandatory work. Saying that, there will always be people who struggle on and those who give up.

My grandad had most of his vertebra fused at 24 and died at 51 after years living with leukaemia. He used to return to work after chemo treatments and missed a total of 4 weeks of work during his life. His brother in law was medically retired at 48 due to arthritic hip pain. Same job. Different mentality.

Every time I hear people complain about M.E. I can't help thinking of the Ricky gervais joke.

Back to topic- although they are grasping corporate scumbags, if atos says people are fit for some kind of work, 99% of those people will be.

If it's a matter of opinion, for example someone who is scared of crowds, then why should they receive any more than job seekers allowance.

People should stop fighting to be labelled disabled and focus on overcoming their difficulties.

Have faith that anyone deserving will "pass" the necessary health exam to receive benefits.

Your mentallity worries me. You use an example, cancer and arthritic pain. I have both and the criteria used by ATOS awarded me zero points.

"Fighting to be labelled disabled" ??????? WTF !!! Are you for real ?? I can assure you that disabilities are no joke, Ricky Gervais or otherwise. That man is a disgrace with his reference to 'mongs'.

"Focus on overcoming their difficulties" ??? YOU GET WORSE !!

Anyone insulting disabled people dosent deserve politeness so I will not be polite to you. Reasoning with you will not work as another poster has found so I will not try. You are an unfortunate fool my forum friend, another keyboard warrior with the 'know it all mentallity'. You probably couldn't handle the mental terror of a cancer diagnosis, never mind the physical pain.

Shut up untill you know what you are talking about...:loopy:

Yes because people regularly die of "can't be botheredness" Perhaps you should actually try reading up about the topic before you disparage it,

Which is why up to 70% of their decisions are overturned at tribunal?

So psychological problems are a "matter of opinion"? What next - are you going to say that people with severe long term issues should just "snap out of it"?

If people can't work due to disabilities then they now have to "fight for that label" in order to get they help they need either in living day to day or get the support they need to get into a position where they can work again.

Or look at the evidence and see that in many cases ATOS will fail in their role and cause more suffering among the disabled.

Shut up untill you know what you are talking about...:loopy:

I agree with everything you said above. The scary thing is that as various governments continue to increase the pension age, people that have struggled to cope and work will be unable able to do so as they age. It will also affect more people as more life threatening illnesses with lasting conditions increase with age.

I do worry that if people do not support people who need it will unfortunately find themselves or their family in the same situation and wish they had been more supportive as there will be nothing and no one left to help them :(

This video makes you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NwienaIFzZA

It was filmed last year about DLA allowance, the song is dreadful but the people in it make me think how easy it could be me, my family or a friend. They are just the same, but have been dealt a bad hand in life. Disability can affect anyone.

Archived