Anyone been seen by atos and kept incapacity benefit/esa?

"stress", "depression", "autism" and all the other recently invented "mental illnesses". None of these so-called conditions existed before the welfare state was created.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course they existed, only people were locked away in asylums and came under the generic diagnosis of 'lunatic', were treated as freaks and totally excluded from society. Next you'll be saying that PTSD is new and the WWI veterans weren't suffering from it because it predates the welfare state.

"stress", "depression", "autism" and all the other recently invented "mental illnesses". None of these so-called conditions existed before the welfare state was created.

Autism is a well-known and potentially very disabling condition. Autism is in my family (My sister and her son have it, and a cousin's husband and son have it)

There's a strong genetic slant to autism, and it certainly is not a "Mickey Mouse" condition.

As an Aside:-

Do you realise that because MS tended to affect women more than men, doctors thought, well into the 1930s and 40s, that it was a "hysterical" condition? would you describe someone with MS as having a "Mickey-Mouse" condition?

Depends how severe their Autistic condition is.

Mental illness...I know of a lecturer who threw himself off a bridge other month.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course they existed, only people were locked away in asylums and came under the generic diagnosis of 'lunatic', were treated as freaks and totally excluded from society. Next you'll be saying that PTSD is new and the WWI veterans weren't suffering from it because it predates the welfare state.

:nod: Autism, and it's symptoms were well-recognised, many years ago, but it was thought to be a juvenile form of Schizophrenia.

Depends how severe their Autistic condition is.

Mental illness...I know of a lecturer who threw himself off a bridge other month.

Autism can affect many aspects of a person's life. One woman described the efforts of someone Autistic, trying to communicate, as "being in a strange country, where you do not know the customs of gestures or language, and trying to speak with a native of that country.

Re Mental Health Issues:- Do you remember the chap who threw himself of the parkway bridge about 10 years ago? He was a friend of mine, an ex-boss. He survived, that time, but with terrible injuries. He had suffered many years of torment, living with his mental health condition. He finally "succeeded" in taking his life about six years ago.

PTSD? *huffs, disdainingly* ;) just a touch of shell-shock, that's all *twirls her Kitchener-stye moustache* send the blighters back to the front! They'll soon shape up! ;)

Autism, and it's symptoms were well-recognised, many years ago, but it was thought to be a juvenile form of Schizophrenia.

Well that's the other way round than my cousin. His original diagnosis in his teens was that he was schizophrenic, but now decades later his diagnosis is autism. Doctors pretend they can diagnose and treat mental conditions.

Well that's the other way round than my cousin. His original diagnosis in his teens was that he was schizophrenic, but now decades later his diagnosis is autism. Doctors pretend they can diagnose and treat mental conditions.

A lot of them are increasingly being recognised as being co-morbid which is why there is often a misdiagnosis initially as one condition may present more strongly than the other. Furthermore, there are many overlaps in many.

Archived