Where is my granny buried?

I have found my great grandfather Michael McCarthy's grave because he was injured in 1915 on the Western Front and he died in Aldershot hospital and his body brought back here to Sheffield. I found him via the WGC website. But, its his wife Ellen. I know that she is buried in Tinsley park Cemetery but how do I go about finding her plot? I went to the gatehouse, but the chap told me that they no longer keep records. Where do I begin? Any ideas?

Kevin

Burial Date : 8th August 1907

Ellen Maria McCarthy

Estimated year of birth: 1860 - (Ellen Maria Nixon)

Place of burial: Park Municipal Cemetery

Sheffield, Tinsley14

The Sheffield Archives keep all Sheffield Cemetary records on microfilm.

Since you know the date of burial it should be easy enough to locate the plot where she is buried. Ask to see a map of the cemetary and you should be able to locate where the grave is.

Best wishes.

Hi the Sheffield & District Family History Society have transcribed the records for Tinsley Cemetery

MCCARTHY, Ellen Maria (wi, age of 47).Resided at 15 Stovin Road, Darnall and buried on 08 Aug 1907 Tinsley Cemetery, Sheffield. Notes: .Husband Michael. Section YA Plot No 13 non-Consecrated

Buried in the same plot

MCCARTHY, Michael (age of 57).Resided at 7 Turin St, Darnall and buried on 13-02-1916

A map of the cemetery can be found here

Sheffield Indexers

Hi again

Yes they are buried in the same plot.

I doubt the CWGC would mention a civilian on one of their headstones,

I have checked for other burials in the same plot and I found just one,

TURNER, Mary (wife of Aaron, age of 55). Resided at 90 Sanderson St, Attercliffe and buried on 29 Mar 1891 Tinsley Cemetery, Sheffield.

There is a possibility that the above wasn't related as graves were often shared back then.

I want to thank you for your help. It means a great deal. And yes, the other person called Turner is not related. I completely understand the sharing of graves in Attercliffe cum Darnall in the late 19th Century and early 20th.

My Mum is 80, in the Hallamshire at the moment after the removal of cancer the size of a babies head. Its also meant the removal of one of kidneys, her pancreas and her spleen.

She has been following my interest in the family tree and I took her to Michael McCarthy's grave in December - not for a fitting - to see her great grandfather. It will be comforting to her to know that Ellen is buried there too. When Mum has recovered in the summer I will take her along with some flowers.

Thanks once again, you've made a special mum and her son very happy

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

if you ring city road cemetery they will tell you were she is buriedd and which cemetery she is buried give them as much onfo as you can and they will give you a plot number in an e mail if you ask they will e mail yu a map as to were it is as some of these cemeterys are huge and take some findind they found several relatives of mine some not buried in sheffield but still in s yorks good luck

if you ring city road cemetery they will tell you were she is buriedd and which cemetery she is buried give them as much onfo as you can and they will give you a plot number in an e mail if you ask they will e mail yu a map as to were it is as some of these cemeterys are huge and take some findind they found several relatives of mine some not buried in sheffield but still in s yorks good luck

That's a new one on me. I will try that, because I have other relatives from my father's side of the family who's grave I am trying to trace. I would have thought that they would be inundated with calls if that was the case though. There seems to be an increasing number of people tracing their ancestry, especially since the TV adverts for Find My Past and Ancestry.

Thanks for the tip :)

Kevin 8)

Archived