Yorkshire Water Disgrace

Just received our water bill, £697 for a two-bedroomed house - absolutely disgusting. :rant: Everyone wants maximum profits in rip-off Britain. The trouble with that is, it leaves nothing in anyone's pockets to spend, and oops, there goes the economy. Thanks for putting your prices up by a staggering amount, when our wages our frozen and worth less each passing week.

What period of time is that bill for? It's clearly wrong.

The point of his post is that if you're not willing to take up his offer, then you think you're getting good value for money. Ergo, you have no complaint.

We have more people in this country using more water. To top that off our rivers, when they actually have water in them, have fantastic water quality. There are reports of good numbers of trout in the don. Go back 20 years (unde state control) if you had dropped a trout in the don as it ran through sheffield it would have disolved.

Oh and it has rained less over the last 2 years. It can't be free.

I think, if you're on your own, or have no children, it's probably a no-brainer, as you say, but I do disagree with the principle of paying per 'unit' of water.

It's no different to paying per unit of gas or electricity.

Why pay a standing charge when you can have some control over the amount you pay?

Are you sure about this?

Yep..........

Before you say that a dishwasher is used once a day...i.e you fill it over the day and wash once......I do the same.

One washing up session in the sink in the evening.

Just received our water bill, £697 for a two-bedroomed house - absolutely disgusting. :rant: Everyone wants maximum profits in rip-off Britain. The trouble with that is, it leaves nothing in anyone's pockets to spend, and oops, there goes the economy. Thanks for putting your prices up by a staggering amount, when our wages our frozen and worth less each passing week.

£697!? Bloody hell

Yep..........

Before you say that a dishwasher is used once a day...i.e you fill it over the day and wash once......I do the same.

One washing up session in the sink in the evening.

How many gallons do you use vs the dishwasher, which if it is a modern energy efficient one cleans and recycles the water to use it over and over in the same wash. Also the dishwasher heats the water itself, is this more efficient than your hot water heater?

This website quotes a German study that suggests that a modern energy efficient dishwasher uses less water than a comparative hand wash. One sixth of the water to be exact. It also suggests that one half of the energy is used by a dish washer compared to hand washing, and less soap as well.

The point of his post is that if you're not willing to take up his offer, then you think you're getting good value for money. Ergo, you have no complaint.

That's a silly conclusion. I am not physically able to do that and I do not wish to take up the offer. How on earth does that transmute to 'I therefore think I'm getting good value for money'? Come on, I thought you were pretty smart.

Archived