Yorkshire Water Disgrace

I was thinking the same thing last night when the news was going on about droughts and hosepipe bans and the water companies were explaining the necessity of taking more water from rivers and thus damaging the environment.

Does anyone know how much water per year is still lost to leakage?

Enough to supply 10 million people.

The problem now seems to be an ongoing reluctance to deal with leakage. The current service levels let water companies get away with not doing much more than they do.

I'm sorry, forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand the question.

Well, when I was living in a 2 bed household I got a big bill and complained, the reply from Yorkshire water was'your bill is so big because we aggregate the water supply with surrounding households'.

i.e. it doesnt go on how much water you actually use but how much water the area uses.

Pretty much sucks if the area consists of families with upteen kids.

Well, when I was living in a 2 bed household I got a big bill and complained, the reply from Yorkshire water was'your bill is so big because we aggregate the water supply with surrounding households'.

i.e. it doesnt go on how much water you actually use but how much water the area uses.

Pretty much sucks if the area consists of families with upteen kids.

That's entirely wrong according to Yorkshire Waters website.

If you don't have a water meter fitted, we normally base your charges on the rateable value of your property, not on the Council Tax banding system. Rateable values are based on many factors including the size of your home, the number of rooms, the amenities you have and your location.

The amount of water you use does not affect your charges. Your bill shows you in detail how we've calculated your charges for the year.

Your water and sewerage charges are going up by 8.3%, which is around £31 per year on a typical bill.

For a breakdown of our charges please refer to the Charges Scheme documents at the bottom of this page.

What is the breakdown of the bill?

That's entirely wrong according to Yorkshire Waters website.

What is the breakdown of the bill?

Tell Yorkshire water about it mate. Sounds like I got duped then. Yet another reason to hate this company.:mad:

From the website you quote:....

Most dishwashers manufactured since 1994 use seven to 10 gallons of water per cycle, while older machines use eight to 15 gallons.

10 Gallons...ffs...my sink would overflow well before that.

And the argument that the dishwasher heats it's own water so no need for my super efficient combi boiler is a non starter.

The dishwasher doesn't heat itself for now't...it uses electricity!

After my meter was installed I did do some checking of usage. (I'm a Yorkshireman)

In 11 days I used 1.5 cubit metres....that's 330 gallons...or 30 gallons per day.

That is the total usage...toilet flushing, washing, showering, pot washing, not forgetting drinking....plus the washing machine. I concede to owning one of them.

A dishwasher made in 1994 isn't a modern dishwasher, if you'd read further down the link it says that modern dishwashers has improved dishwasher efficiency immensely.

This link which also quotes the same piece of research from my earlier post, says that to wash a sink load of dishes just over half a gallon is used in a modern dishwasher. 0.59 of a gallon or 2.27 litres used in a dishwasher compared to 2.77 or 10.5 liters with a hand wash.

You have to remember that a dishwasher will wash considerably more than a sink load of dishes. Modern energy efficient dishwashers will use 4 gallons per wash according to the link above and this link. It's also worth noting from that link that an average taps pumps out 2 gallons of water a minute, if you want to work out how much water you use.

As for your super energy efficient hot water heater, heat is lost transporting the water from your heater to the sink, wasting energy. But most importantly, what about the cold water you put into the sink to keep the water temperature tolerable? So you're spending money heating water up and then cooling it down straight away.

If you don't believe me read up on it.

Heating water using gas is still more efficient than heating it using electricity.

Personally I don't put any cold water in, but if I did it would mean I'd used a lower volume of hot water and so would still be more efficient.

The losses in transmission are minimal.

I guess my situation is different to a family. I live alone.

However, even a family can benefit from a meter.

The problem is that people want "all mod cons" that use water.

A dishwasher for example uses a huge amount of water compared to the kitchen sink. It's just laziness to use one.

A power shower uses much more than an ordinary shower.

Using a hose pipe to water the garden, when you can collect rain water for free.

There's lot's of things you can do to reduce consumption.

I do flush the loo every time btw.

I remember reading an article saying that a dishwasher uses less water if you use it correctly, just keep using pots until the dishwasher is full then wash them and start again.

Just received our water bill, £697 for a two-bedroomed house - absolutely disgusting. :rant: Everyone wants maximum profits in rip-off Britain. The trouble with that is, it leaves nothing in anyone's pockets to spend, and oops, there goes the economy. Thanks for putting your prices up by a staggering amount, when our wages our frozen and worth less each passing week.

Just had mine, £360 for a two bedroomed semi in S20

Archived