What is 5 + 3 * 0?

First paragraph - what happens when you see this ..........

It then says "Otherwise " and has an example of left to right calculations where no brackets are included.

Do you mean this example?

Otherwise just go left to right. Example:

30 ÷ 5 × 3 = 6 × 3 = 18

In which case, that's only because you exhausted the BODMAS rules, and there is no precedence between the rules for division and multiplication (the only operations in that sum), so you work it out left to right. If one of those operators was a + or -, you would apply the previous rule "Multiply or Divide before you Add or Subtract".

Hey if you don't want to believe me don't. As you are all more likely to be correct than a game show which usually is checked by a boffin first, i'll leave you all to wander gracefully through life.

I'm open to being wrong Willman. If I am wrong, I'd like to know that, and understand how and why. :)

On the show, the question was in like, age 8 maths.

So if it is the case as you suggest, that maths is taught to kids in a simplified ('wrong') form. Then, given that the context of the question posed on the show, was 'age 8 maths', the answer may well be 0.

BODMAS is ONLY used IF brackets are used, thats why the first word of the acronym is brackets. No brackets no need for BODMAS.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

The link you posted does not support your argument. In THE VERY FIRST EXAMPLE THERE ARE NO BRACKETS.

Example: How do you work out 3 + 6 × 2 ?

Multiplication before Addition:

First 6 × 2 = 12, then 3 + 12 = 15

jb

ETA: Humph, read first, post second.

The link you posted does not support your argument. In THE VERY FIRST EXAMPLE THERE ARE NO BRACKETS.

Example: How do you work out 3 + 6 × 2 ?

Multiplication before Addition:

First 6 × 2 = 12, then 3 + 12 = 15

jb

The page is discussing BODMAS it states it clearly. It calcualtes the brackets out first follow the exercise through and not isolate each as individual calculations.

1.05 + 3.50 x 6

What the answer?

Not trick but a day to day sum.

22.05 - no trick, basic maths.

1.05 + (3.50 x 6) = 22.05

Do you see, do the multiplication first then the addition.

The page is discussing BODMAS it states it clearly. It calcualtes the brackets out first follow the exercise through and not isolate each as individual calculations.

Are you reading the same page as us?:huh:

22.05 - no trick, basic maths.

1.05 + (3.50 x 6) = 22.05

Do you see, do the multiplication first then the addition.

So when 6 people all bought a coffee and a sandwich it cost £27.30 ?

1.05 + 3.50 x 6 people.

Archived