What is 5 + 3 * 0?

Unless there were brackets the answer to anything multiplied by 0 is always 0 - the brackets do make a difference because you are supposed to calculate the sum inside the bracket first then add on 5 but if there is no bracket you do the sum as a whole therefore 0 is answer

What is difficult to understand?

I was wondering if denlin was performing the operations in the order they appear? Such that..

2 + 3 x 4 = 20 [2 + 3, is 5, times 4, equals 20]

4 x 3 + 2 = 14 [4 x 3, is 12, add 2, equals 14]

I'm trying to better understand the process, by which denlin is arriving at the conclusion that 2 + 3 x 4 = 20.

Denlin is asserting that the answer to the OP question is 0, which I am disputing, and trying my best to understand exactly how that conclusion is being reached.

What is difficult to understand?

There is nothing difficult to understand if you had ever done basic mathematics. The only part of the question which returns 0 is the 3 x 0 bit. Once you've got your head round that part then you add the 5 giving the overall answer as 5.

Archived