I need some advice please disabled mum and dad

here is the dilemma i have got at the moment...

both mum and dad live in a large bungalow with my sister and her son whos 3, mum had a stroke 20 odd years back and is in a wheel chair paralised down the left hand side, last year she broke her hip on her right hand side, she cannot walk, she cannot even stand up or sit forward unaided, her left arm does not move at all due to the stroke.

my dad was her carer, he has been diagnosed with diabetes and is going blind, his consultant said he will lose his eye sight totally within 2 months.

last week he colapsed with a severe infection of the leg, the antibiotics havent worked and he is back in hospital now having his left leg amputated from the knee down.

my sister and i are taking it in turns to look after mum, get her out of bed, in bed toilet ect...she is very heavy and me and my sister are strugging to cope,

my sister is also moving to brighton next month to be with her partner, leaving me to look after mum and dad full time, however iam pregnant and have a history of very difficult births, often born very early or even miscarriage (still born)

i dont think i could cope with doing all that needs doing by myself, infact i know i cannot.

does anyone know of any help i can get for both mum and dad, they dont want to move house if at all possible, they have no savings so paying for private care is not an option.

i just dont know what to do for the best, mum and dad are really down about it all and its upsetting to see. any help or advice would be fantastic.

Look for carers association - they should be able to advise you at your mum and dads doctor for your area

thank you, i will,

could you tell me how the carers work, will they go everyday? how many times a day? so on...

you see i dont know what iam doing here.. xx

Hi i've been in a similar situation, you need to get in touch with social services, they will come and do an assessment and can arrange for carers to come in, they can come upto 4 times a day, but you might be waiting weeks for the carers to start we were, and I did'nt have a very good experience with the carers, they were coming and sometimes just making a cup of tea. I don't think you should be lifting with being pregnant, carers will use a hoist. I hope everything works out for you I know how stressful it can be, my mom is now in a care home so I don't have all the stress and worry I used to have.

Hi i've been in a similar situation, you need to get in touch with social services, they will come and do an assessment and can arrange for carers to come in, they can come upto 4 times a day, but you might be waiting weeks for the carers to start we were, and I did'nt have a very good experience with the carers, they were coming and sometimes just making a cup of tea. I don't think you should be lifting with being pregnant, carers will use a hoist. I hope everything works out for you I know how stressful it can be, my mom is now in a care home so I don't have all the stress and worry I used to have.

this is so very useful, thank you very much, i will contact the social services today, thanks again your a star!

Hi there i am unable to offer any help and advice on the matter as its not something i am aware of.

But i just wanted to express some sympathy for the situation i generally hope things all turn out for you.

I can not imagine being in this position but i do wish you all the best.

Archived