Singing Lady about to be deported

I have to say that some of the comments that have been put are shocking, It makes me ashamed to be from Sheffield sometimes.. Just amazes me that in 2012 the government can just throw a 60 year old mother and grandmother in jail.

"But her visa has expired and repeated applications to stay have been rejected."

And it doesn't sound like she is in a productive job if she can stand around in town singing. Send her back.

she was in a productive job as a teacher and has taught in over 20 schools.. many of her former pupils think she is a fantastic person.. but since the home office messed up with a form in 2005 she has been unable to work and has not claimed benefits.. so to fill her days as well as volunteering for her local community she sings in town..

Serious question guys and girls. Does anyone who supports deporting this person, who has taught many of our kids, who may have entertained or I'll admit annoyed some with her singing, honestly think the UK will be a better place as a result?

Chuck a terrorist like abu Qatada off the dock at Dover and you have an instantly better UK. A known terrorist (not proven terrorist but known terrorist for the armchair lawyers out there..in Afghanistan we shoot known terrorists in the face, or drop bombs on their 4x4s.. it's all legal..why we protect them because they happen to be here who knows)

But Gwen, she didn't disappear into the grey or black economy. She isn't a terrorist. She isn't a murderer. She's a teacher. Is that the sort of person we want to deport first? When we say we want controlled immigration do we mean we want our government to protect us by all means needed from foreign criminals and terrorists or do we mean we want them all to stay here and the department responsible to hit easy targets who don't hide and who are integrated into our society?

What keeps your family safe people? Target people like Gwen? I don't think so.

Serious question guys and girls. Does anyone who supports deporting this person, who has taught many of our kids, who may have entertained or I'll admit annoyed some with her singing, honestly think the UK will be a better place as a result?

Chuck a terrorist like abu Qatada off the dock at Dover and you have an instantly better UK. A known terrorist (not proven terrorist but known terrorist for the armchair lawyers out there..in Afghanistan we shoot known terrorists in the face, or drop bombs on their 4x4s.. it's all legal..why we protect them because they happen to be here who knows)

But Gwen, she didn't disappear into the grey or black economy. She isn't a terrorist. She isn't a murderer. She's a teacher. Is that the sort of person we want to deport first? When we say we want controlled immigration do we mean we want our government to protect us by all means needed from foreign criminals and terrorists or do we mean we want them all to stay here and the department responsible to hit easy targets who don't hide and who are integrated ito our society?

What keeps your family safe people? Target people like Gwen? I don't think so.

Just target everyone that isnt entitled to be here,

Well I have been thinking about this and whether or not we should deport someone for not getting an application right and was not really sure either way, but then I saw your post and wondered if it just boiled down to having the right paper if she has entitlement or not.

I'm still not sure in my own mind either way but I know if I don't have the right paper filled in when the national lottery numbers come out I am not entitled to the many millions I thing I should be entitled to. :huh:

We all know that isn't happening. We have huge numbers of illegal immigrants here. So where should the priority be? Integrated teachers or terrorists and criminals? Targetting teachers on technicalities is undoubtably easier. Does it make for a better country?

Just because someone is mildly eccentric and sings about God on Fargate, it doesn't mean they are above the law.

Coming to the UK to work on a Visa doesn't automatically mean you can come here for life. Visas have end dates, that can be extended under special circumstances, but it's not a green light to live here for the rest of your life, or some sort of golden ticket to guarantee that you'll have a job for the duration of the Visa either.

Reading between the lines, her Visa expired in 2005, and she's been here on borrowed time since then. This would suggest she hasn't been able to work in a school or anywhere since then, hence the daily appearance on Fargate.

There were also rumours of her being unemployable due to her refusal to teach anything against her beliefs, such as other faiths in RE classes and Darwinism in Science classes, but this can't be substantiated.

Like all these cases - remember the girl from X Factor a few years ago? - you'll get a lot of spin from the supporters of said person, when the only other party that knows all the facts, the Home Office, can't say anything in retort due to it being a legal matter.

Well said.

I'll also add that it would just be the same for us if we visited the US and our work permits expired: they'd have us, regardless of how nice or entertaining we are, packing like a shot.

Archived