Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?

Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?

• Am not offended by contextual swearing
    • Am not offended by swearing full stop
    • Am offended by swearing full stop
    • Am sometimes offended by swearing

Offended? Not generally.

Maybe if it was accompanied by 'in yer face' actions then I may feel a little threatened, but not sure that's the same as being offended.

Someone swearing consistently leads me to ignore what they say when they think something is vitally important as they clearly can't use words in context.

If I know someone doesn't usually swear and I hear them swearing I know something has actually happened rather than just babble.

Hope that makes sense :/

well this is my point exactly rich

WHO gets offended?

WHO are they trying to protect?

You'd be better off asking them that, via the Helpdesk of course :D

But really this forum has always been, and always will be, a "family friendly" forum, so swearing is a BIG no no.

Words have various meanings, swear words by definition are meant to be offensive. When used out of context any word can lose it's meaning (eg "literally" ;) ).

Certain sentences could be considered offensive - eg. racist phrases, incitement to violence against certain groups, I would probably get offended if someone accused me of being paedophile.

All of the above are just words, but in context could be offensive. The same applies to swearing for some folks.

You'd be better off asking them that, via the Helpdesk of course :D

But really this forum has always been, and always will be, a "family friendly" forum, so swearing is a BIG no no.

Adults know swear words. Children know swear words. Everyone's little precious butter wouldn't melt in their mouth knows swear words. No one is being protected. Swear filters for bulletin boards exist.

jb

I'm no prude but there is no need for heavy swearing in public. Words like 'rhymes with bunt' and 'sounds like duck' can sound a bit vulgar. Especially when shouted from the rooftops.

This is polite society don't forget.

well quite barley!

and who decides what is offensive?

i find it very strange that some people get so up in arms about certain letter configurations

yet, they exist in every language

why?

The person who's offended.

Swearing can often make people feel uncomfortable because it's often used when a person's emotions are running high, and it's not always nice to be around people like that.

Most people don't swear when they're just content with something.

That's all asides from the often vulgar meanings behind most swear words which don't need to be littered amongst normal conversation.

I really don't care about the odd **** or **** but there's something disconcerting about somebody who peppers their every day language with them.

At the end of the day it's all about the type of impression you want to give to other people, if you don't mind looking like a lout then use whatever words you like in whatever context you like. If you do mind looking like a lout, adjust your behaviour accordingly in account of your company.

As somebody said earlier, it's not prudish to not want to hear heavy swearing whilst going about your daily business, and the fact is many people will look upon you unfavourably if you do that.

Archived