Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?

Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?

• Am not offended by contextual swearing
    • Am not offended by swearing full stop
    • Am offended by swearing full stop
    • Am sometimes offended by swearing

I ignore it, a girl at school got hit accidentally by a tennis ball and came out with 'b****y sodding hell' and we all fell about laughing but other than that sort of thing to quote John Lydon (yes) 'get a vocabulary'

I swear some times (not in mixed company though and definitely not in front of my Parents), in fact I almost told a cold calling sales guy from Talk Talk to "F off" last week when he came knocking on my door.

A well timed and appropriate swear can be used to emphasise a point. But gratuitous swearing just makes people look thick. I know someone who can't speak a sentence without an eff or a blind. He's not the sharpest tool in the box.

Agreed.

To me, they are just words

And very useful words too!

Acting as a pressure valve when the going gets tough and to reflect the level of emotion being experienced..

You're contradicting yourself. The only reason swear words can have that pressure-valve effect is because they are offensive words, obscenities. If the offence was stripped from them and they were just regular words, they would not work.

When William the ******* invaded England he made the use of the usual, Anglo Saxon and Viking languages illegal.

The only language was french or latin.

Therefore all words spoken in the old languages became obsceneites, that is something to be despised.

They were common parlance (a french word in its self) before he came.

In fact even the word checker will delete his real common name from here, as he made it a swear word, I bet.

There, I knew it would, it describes a man, whose father is not legally married to his wife, but was a descriptor under anglo saxon words.

There, I knew it would, it describes a man, whose father is not legally married to his wife, but was a descriptor under anglo saxon words.

It still is a descriptor, its role never changed; but it's also (and far more often) used as a generic insult. Moreover, since the laws on illlegitimacy have all been scrapped its use as a descriptor is entirely pointless.

You're contradicting yourself. The only reason swear words can have that pressure-valve effect is because they are offensive words, obscenities. If the offence was stripped from them and they were just regular words, they would not work.

Swear words are processed in the lower regions of the brain associated with emotions and instinct. This is in contrast to normal speech which is processed in the upper right hemisphere of the brain. Given it's processing centre it is unsurprising swearing can serves an emotional release. There is even evidence that swearing when physically hurt (say when you've just hit your thumb with a hammer) can actually reduce pain.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/swearing4.htm

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1913773,00.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/here-there-and-everywhere/201104/swearing-powerful-painkiller

jb

Archived