Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?

Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Swearing - When used in context, does it offend you?

• Am not offended by contextual swearing
    • Am not offended by swearing full stop
    • Am offended by swearing full stop
    • Am sometimes offended by swearing

Hi everyone :D

As a person whose passions frequently run high....I swear....a lot!

To me, they are just words

And very useful words too!

Acting as a pressure valve when the going gets tough and to reflect the level of emotion being experienced....

So......how many of you are offended by swearing?

And I don't mean when used in an abusive way or for personal attack

I mean when used to reflect anger and frustration

Just curious.....

Love as always

Sol

:)

Not offended as such - more cringing at the necessity to use it commonplace........just makes people sound very very "thick". Find it disrespectful when used in earshot of children, elderly or just people who want to go about their daily business without having to hear it.

The children. We must protect the children. Everyone knows that swear words turn children into newts

:hihi:

well considering how much swearing there is in any mainstream flick or computer game these days....there is a lot of potential newtage

I dont mind swearing but I do think its nice to have manners, theres no need in most cases to swear loudly in earshot of loads of people. Hate it when I am out with my nan and people are effing and jeffing around her

i quite agree kathy

(:wave: nice to see you btw!)

You're contradicting yourself. The only reason swear words can have that pressure-valve effect is because they are offensive words, obscenities. If the offence was stripped from them and they were just regular words, they would not work

agreed

but at the end of the day....they are just WORDS

personally, if someone uses swearing justifiably....i wouldn't bat an eyelid

whereas if it is part of their 'everyday' language - a la gordon ramsey...errr....hang on a bit though....he has a super stressful job.....so arguably is using it contextually to indicate his level of stress.

nope, not offended by him either :D

Swear words are processed in the lower regions of the brain associated with emotions and instinct. This is in contrast to normal speech which is processed in the upper right hemisphere of the brain. Given it's processing centre it is unsurprising swearing can serves an emotional release. There is even evidence that swearing when physically hurt (say when you've just hit your thumb with a hammer) can actually reduce pain.

I knew it!!

thanks jb :D

Archived