Identifying the inherent problems of a monetary system

(Oops, watching Mary Portas too!)

So should I get paid for working, for selling things? How do we decide what I pay towards mine and others societies?

In cavegirls new (old ?) world you probably will, ie an equal share of resources. The same as a (former) king, doctor or dole-ite. If I've got that right, try and convince the average working Joe (as an average working Joe I'm not convinced) it's a good plan. If I'm wrong - apologies all round.

And there's the rub really most people in this county, even in bad times have never had it so good.

In cavegirls new (old ?) world you probably will, ie an equal share of resources. The same as a (former) king, doctor or dole-ite. If I've got that right, try and convince the average working Joe (as an average working Joe I'm not convinced) it's a good plan. If I'm wrong - apologies all round.

So will there be an incentive to go to uni and study for many many years to say become a doctor, when I could pick litter in the park for the identical life. Will sport be banned for being unfair... (All games must finish 1 minute early so as to not have any losers!)

And there's the rub really most people in this county, even in bad times have never had it so good.

:thumbsup: Mad init!

Technology isn't lagging behind, it is progressing at an exponential rate (see Moore's Law). We have the technological capability and capacity to feed, clothe and shelter every human on earth. But this little thing that we made up called "money" can't pay for it all. Since money is proving such a disincentive for social progress, why not get rid of it altogether?

Haven't you got 2020 vision, Moore's Law only comes with a limited warranty!

Haven't you got 2020 vision, Moore's Law only comes with a limited warranty!

Yes, I'm sure that the estimated expiration of Moore's Law will mean the end of technological progress.

Moore's Law, as the wiki explains, is a rule of thumb. I wasn't presenting it as heuristic scientific evidence, only as a referent to the function of the exponential.

Yes, I'm sure that the estimated expiration of Moore's Law will mean the end of technological progress.

Moore's Law, as the wiki explains, is a rule of thumb. I wasn't presenting it as heuristic scientific evidence, only as a referent to the function of the exponential.

But not everything follows that law and nor it's characteristics, maybe the Fibonacci algorithm may yield nicer answers, but multi player game theory may sound like more fun.

There are other people around the world who share my train of thought and engage in activism. I play my part in the town I live, whether its online or IRL.

Yeah - but if I'd got this foolproof way of changing the world I wouldn't be wasting my time on SF - I'd be lobbying think tanks, economists, pressure groups, ministers, political parties and the like.

There wasn't a large population when this change occurred in the late Bronze Age, it had nothing to do with population levels and a lot to do with other factors so whilst the large population we have today would certainly complicate the story of a social transition it really doesn't have any impact on whether the transition occurs.

So what were these other factors?

Archived