Identifying the inherent problems of a monetary system

Well, ahem, imagine making things to make things, say a digger truck, a drill, an alarm system, well, all these are useful tools which can already be used in everyday life, well if we did the same but but reight reight small yeah, well, well we'd be able to like restructure the very building blocks of elemental matter itself, yeah!

These may help:

Neither of which demonstrate any ability to change one element into another.

And what on earth has this got to do with the monetary system?

Then the upside is, reight, get this, some of the simplest elements are the best, so if are talkin of matter as bits of elements, then diamond would be cheaper than chips like!

Mad innit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXIDJ-NFtr4

Wow - the University of Youtube strikes again.

Where were the diamonds :|

What has it got to do with the monetary system?

Neither of which demonstrate any ability to change one element into another.

And what on earth has this got to do with the monetary system?

You led us away earlier, check back ;)

Because with the ability to manipulate matter at such a level, nothing has difference, all you need is a printer to turn rubbish into anything from a ripe banana drizzled with syrup to some micro-controller dynamic field array capable of making the Transformers look like catroon characters... er...

Not an advert, but it was at the top of the list and it is a .co.uk...

(p.s. I know this bit isn't nano since it's not quite as cheap on the nano scale level yet! But the kit is available, see previous vid)

... and you thought GorTex was good!

REF (fiction): http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Diamond-Age-Illustrated-Primer/dp/014027037X/ref=sr_1_1?

Because with the ability to manipulate matter at such a level, nothing has difference, all you need is a printer to turn rubbish into anything from a ripe banana drizzled with syrup to some micro-controller dynamic field array capable of making the Transformers look like catroon characters... er...

Yeah - sure :rolleyes:

So what has this to do with inherent problems of the monetary system?

I think it went something like this...

Just a thought but wouldn't building these robots and these machines that didn't wear out lead to a faster consumption of scarce resources?

this I believe was some reference to something written by Captain Cavegirl

er, no

er - explain.

So explain how - alchemists tried to turn lead into gold and failed for centuries. Nobody has found a way yet.

Carry on.

It happens all the time in particle acclerators, well not lead into gold, but transmutation of elements into others.

The reason why it isn't done is it's not econimcally viable.

It happens all the time in particle acclerators, well not lead into gold, but transmutation of elements into others.

The reason why it isn't done is it's not econimcally viable.

Which elements are we talking about - we know radioactive elements can. Is it ever likely to be economically viable (and shouldn't this be a new thread?)?

Yeah - but if I'd got this foolproof way of changing the world I wouldn't be wasting my time on SF - I'd be lobbying think tanks, economists, pressure groups, ministers, political parties and the like.

First of all, its not foolproof, nothing is. Second, doing one doesn't exclude the other. Almost 1500 views on this thread already, so every little helps.

Which elements are we talking about - we know radioactive elements can. Is it ever likely to be economically viable (and shouldn't this be a new thread?)?

It's very relevant, because it explores how future technological advances will be incompatible with the monetary system. Manipulating matter at the molecular level will mean that scarcity will become a thing of the past and it will render it impossible to evaluate the price of anything. Nice videos spooky.

Which elements are we talking about - we know radioactive elements can.[/Quote]

Well no not commercially, it has been done for research purposes. And any element the process is the same, but you wanted examples Gold & Platinum.

I was just correcting you when you said "Nobody has found a way yet", they have, it just isn't viable economically to do so.

Is it ever likely to be economically viable (and shouldn't this be a new thread?)?

Who knows. But if it does become viable it will cause the collapse of the gold market, or any other precious metal really.

Archived