Will i still have a criminal record.

cuttsie

About 50 years ago me and my mate Slinny were having a crafty pint with two lasses in the Noes? Ark pub at Intake.

We were just getting into the party mood when in walked Sargent plod and his side kick.

Straight or to us came the dynamic duo picked up our pints and asked us what we was drinking.

Its bitter! me and Slinny told the officers who then asked the lasses what was in there glasses , Its shandy officer stated the gorgeous Avril and Janet.

Well then may I ask how old you lot are ask es our Sargent with a sneer.

The lasses blubered out that they were only 16 but me and Slinny stuck out our chests and stated for all to hear that we were eighteen.

I want you lot out side said the Sargent, and he proceeded to give our pair of lovely lasses a stiff talking to and telling them to toodle of home.

He then turned his attention to me and the tipsy Slinny asking us for our name and addresses.

The following day the dynamic duo were walking up our front paths and banging on front doors for all the neighbours to see and asking for our birth certificates.

Well all hell broke loose at our house when they had gone as my mam cracked me round the head for bringing this shame upon our house.

We was summoned to attend court and a couple of weeks later we were fined 10 shillings and warned by the beaked nosed bitch of a magistrate as to our future conduct!!!!!!!!

But that was not the end of the matter for in that very nights Star newspaper on the front page right next to a murder were the immortal words that have followed me all these years . Apprentice bricklayer and Apprentice Butcher caught drinking underage , then followed a report of our dastardly crime along with names and addresses.

My old ma never let me forget this sinfull episode but I have been thinking. Will I still have a criminal record.

HI cuttsie

I Am not 100% sure but I think those sort of offences are wiped off after 10yrs or only read out in court AFTER you have been found guilty of any other crime by the way I was caught under age drinking in the Dog & Partridge Trippet ln aged 13 like yourself I was more frightened of my old man.

No wonder you got done 50 years ago for drinking at 18 seeing as the legal age in the 1960's would have been 21 :suspect:

The legal age for drinking has always been 18 in my lifetime and I was drinking legally in the 1950's

Archived