How many years until libraries are gone?

When did you last visit your local library?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. When did you last visit your local library?

• This week
    • In the past month
    • In the past 6 months
    • In the past year
    • Over a year
    • I don't use libraries, they're boring. I can get all the reading materials I need via the internet.

Don't really want this to get into whether it's right or wrong to close whoever's local library the council want to close but..

I really can't imagine libraries being around in their current form within the next 40 or 50 years or so.

I just can't see that there'll be the demand for them, I know of nobody of the younger generation who goes to their local library, when I've been in the past it's been full of pensioners.

I think there must be more efficient ways of lending books out, maybe over the internet or something?

The central libraries of course should stay but, there are 3 or 4 libraries on my way to town and I'd still always choose to go to the main one.

Just really debating the viability of tiny, local, underused libraries when there are services being cut such as the fire service.

Maybe open the smaller libraries for one or two days a week only?

I dunno, just seeing what you think that's all.

I'm wondering when it's going to be possible to borrow a kindle - though Amazon themselves are going to have to work out how the software's going to function to put books on and take them off for successive borrowers

Don't really want this to get into whether it's right or wrong to close whoever's local library the council want to close but..

I really can't imagine libraries being around in their current form within the next 40 or 50 years or so.

I just can't see that there'll be the demand for them, I know of nobody of the younger generation who goes to their local library, when I've been in the past it's been full of pensioners.

I think there must be more efficient ways of lending books out, maybe over the internet or something?

The central libraries of course should stay but, there are 3 or 4 libraries on my way to town and I'd still always choose to go to the main one.

Nobody goes to them anymore. Even thick peeps don't read books of the internet. Plus we have the germ problem. I don't want to read a shoddy book of some bloke who reads on the toilet. Would you?

Books are paper and hold bacteria.

Nobody goes to them anymore. Even thick peeps don't read books of the internet. Plus we have the germ problem. I don't want to read a shoddy book of some bloke who reads on the toilet. Would you?

Books are paper and hold bacteria.

Very good point.

I'll stick to my Kindle onto which I download only the legalist copies.

I've been to the library today!

I normally go once a week. I use quite a few different libraries in different areas. Some have separate library cards. For local history your best off visiting individual libraries.

I imagine many people, school children in particular, walk past a library without knowing they can borrow books!

I've never been a card holding member of any library but i use the archives section extensively to aid my research.

To be honest i wouldn't miss the book borrowing section as the only texts i'm interested in can't be borrowed but have to be read on site, so as long as that remains available which i'm sure it would i wouldn't be affected.

I walk to the central library passing the ones at Manor top and Duke street, but never call in, so i wouldn't miss their services at all and if it meant saving the central one i'd happily vote in favour of closing the local ones.

I'm wondering when it's going to be possible to borrow a kindle - though Amazon themselves are going to have to work out how the software's going to function to put books on and take them off for successive borrowers

It's already possible. There's a list here of public libraries which lend out e-books.

Well I would never have thought that library's would lend out e books it does look as if they will be closing soon then as this can be done online. I use the library for the archive material but also only the central one I had not thought about using the local one for local history I must drop in to see what they have sometime.

I quite like the idea of everything being delivered digitally, with completely open and mobile access. We seem to be heading that way. It would be nice to keep libraries but make them more of a general retreat for those looking to study somewhere quiet. Instead of the money being spent on books and computers, it could be spent on very comfy chairs and free coffee.

Archived