How many years until libraries are gone?

When did you last visit your local library?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. When did you last visit your local library?

• This week
    • In the past month
    • In the past 6 months
    • In the past year
    • Over a year
    • I don't use libraries, they're boring. I can get all the reading materials I need via the internet.

Traditional libraries, as we know them, are dying a natural death, its our collective "fault", for want of a better word; if you need information on something, most now have internet connections.

They are, and generally things that die just come to the end of their natural lives.

Libraries as they are, are out-dated. Just don't think they should be a priority right now.

Kids/Teenagers all have libraries in their schools if they need them.

I feel sorry for all you people.

To brag about despising reading is very very sad.

I cannot understand it, and say you are missing out on one of lifes main pleasures.

lol you're right.

There's nothing more pretentious then people boasting about how many books they read.

It's like congratulations, you can read, me too. But I'd rather play GTA lol.

Very much agree.

I cannot understand it, and say you are missing out on one of lifes main pleasures.

I don't think that anyone is saying that they despise reading I for one do a lot of reading. I used to go to the library quite often but I now have a Kindle and download lots it is a convenience thing as much as anything but I wouldn't be without it now. I still use the library for the archive section though as I stated previously. I think that a lot of children use library's but I wonder how long for when you can get so many books on a kindle and many of them free.

Who's bragging about not reading?? you have to read to use this forum, so I dont really know where you're coming from with that statement.

I went to my local library on Tuesday. I usually go once a week if not more often. I also visit the Central Library. Apart from borrowing books, I can read the paper, or use their computer system for genealogy research. Sheffield Libraries have a subscription to Ancestry UK, and it costs nothing to use it.

I'm glad I grew up when libraries were popular. I remember my mother taking me as a young child, and I did the same for my children. My small grandchildren also visit the library and enjoy books. The five year old reads and spells really well, way beyond what is expected in her reception class.

Although I understand the attraction of the Kindle, for me there is nothing better than getting stuck into a decent novel. Pure escapism. :thumbsup:

I haven't used a library for many years other than College but I do enjoy reading and buying books, it's what i've grown up with. Kindle seems a sterile way to read.

Bacteria or not, I like the feel of a book and turning pages. I like getting towards the end of a good novel, it spurs you on to read when you can see the pages remaining.

Archived