Downloading music free from the internet: Is it wrong?

Do you download things for free that you should have payed for?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you download things for free that you should have payed for?

• I download music without paying, they're rich enough as it is.
    • I don't download music without paying, no matter how rich they are, they still deserve my money
    • I'd pay for it if it was a poor, upcoming artist, but Lady Gaga doesn't need another diamond ring.

Kind of a pointless discussion really. It all comes down to "haters gonna hate".

It's funny though the amount of people that say "oh you are wrong bla bla" that don't realise that the record companies are the ones that showed us how to download the music in the first place.

They promoted the software, kazaar, groakster, bittorrent etc etc they also had tutorials up showing us all how to use the software.

Then after all of this they try and sue us for doing the thing they showed us how to do.

If they thought Free downloading was necessary then wouldn't they just put their music up on websites enabled for this?

alot of bands do have a few songs on their website for download free. just saying im more likey to buy an album if i like a couple of songs on the album.

Kind of a pointless discussion really. It all comes down to "haters gonna hate".

It's funny though the amount of people that say "oh you are wrong bla bla" that don't realise that the record companies are the ones that showed us how to download the music in the first place.

They promoted the software, kazaar, groakster, bittorrent etc etc they also had tutorials up showing us all how to use the software.

Then after all of this they try and sue us for doing the thing they showed us how to do.

That's a new one on me - I've never heard of record companies promoting kazaa and bit torrent - they're always trying to shut networks down. Got any evidence to back it up?

Besides, I suspect you are thinking of something that happened over 10 years ago - I don't think you can use that to justify the large scale piracy that goes on today.

Besides, I suspect you are thinking of something that happened over 10 years ago - I don't think you can use that to justify the large scale piracy that goes on today.

Exactly. There's an awful lot of conscience-easing excuses on this thread.

But equally, there are an awful lot of people who freely admit to stealing, because they know full well they can get away with it.

The biggest exploiters and rip-offers of artists have always been the record companies.

A lot of artists and groups have no problem with downloading of their music via torrent sites, as they know full well it will not have adverse effects on them.

Most anti-piracy methods/techniques are counter productive in that they cause more inconvenience to legitimate users then to pirates.

There's no evidence that, overall, these downloads affect even record companies.

That's a new one on me - I've never heard of record companies promoting kazaa and bit torrent - they're always trying to shut networks down. Got any evidence to back it up?

Cnet/download.com is one of the main sites that did this, guess what sort of company owns it? yes one of those that supported SOPA.

Other big entertainment companies such as disney, and even microsoft promoted Cnet downloads, those top downloads being promoted? kazaa, bittorrent etc etc. This has been going on for a LONG time.

Go do some research yourself, you might learn something about the world.

The biggest exploiters and rip-offers of artists have always been the record companies.

A lot of artists and groups have no problem with downloading of their music via torrent sites, as they know full well it will not have adverse effects on them.

Most anti-piracy methods/techniques are counter productive in that they cause more inconvenience to legitimate users then to pirates.

There's no evidence that, overall, these downloads affect even record companies.

Exactly, artists seem richer than they've ever been.

Exactly, artists seem richer than they've ever been.

What artists are you talking about!?

I know 100's of signed bands that earn the equivalent to an office worker. Real musicians, ones that play hundreds of gigs a year, would disagree with you. They would also rather you bought their music.

The evidence is clear.. Despite illegal downloads of films and music the companies that produce them are making record profits (pun intended). AFAIK no company has folded directly as a result of illegal downloading and the jobs are still as secure as they always were.

Modern Cd and DVD production should have made the cost of those items cheaper but it didn't as those reduced costs were not passed on. Not only that, the companies changed from vinyl to CD and VHS to DVD and now blu-ray so people had to pay again for a new format when the already had purchased the item.

The blame for pirating is down to corporate greed as the companies wont reduce the costs to the consumer when they could, and would still make a hefty profit.

Archived