Downloading music free from the internet: Is it wrong?

Do you download things for free that you should have payed for?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you download things for free that you should have payed for?

• I download music without paying, they're rich enough as it is.
    • I don't download music without paying, no matter how rich they are, they still deserve my money
    • I'd pay for it if it was a poor, upcoming artist, but Lady Gaga doesn't need another diamond ring.

what about artists who release material without appropriate sample clearance? is it ok to steal their stuff?

Nope.

Stealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it it's still wrong IMO.

If an artist wants their material to be treat as a "taster" and be a free download then that's fine and is up to them ... do you think it's right to just download anything..? It's a genuine question.. in the same vein would you nick a book from Waterstone's just to see if you would like to buy some more from the same author?

if it instigated change within the industry then yes. illegal downloading has already forced the music industry to reduce the price of music. win for the consumer but it also highlights how much they were creaming off the top.

Ummm... Because nobody would buy any? Am I correct in assuming that you have totally missed my point?

Apparently... are you saying that you want to sell it but you don't mind if it gets downloaded illegally? I suppose a compromise could be putting samples of your work out for free downloads so that people get the style/quality of your stuff .. if they like it then they'd maybe go and buy it or see you...?

Much depends on what one calls "music". Gyrating semi nude adolecent girls, or boys not yet shaving, both of which warble out of tune (thank God for autotune some would say) I would have to say a definate NO, it's not wrong to download such trash.

Angel.

I presume you mean downloading it for nothing without the consent of the artist?

Personally I'd be happy for, say, Bruno Brookes, Dave Pearce or Adrian Juste (or whoever is on Radio 1 now - Edmonds?) to download one of my tracks illegally and without my consent and play it on their show. I suspect most artists would feel the same, which rather undermines your 'no circumstances' argument.

That's not the case, though, is it?

Not only is that hugely different to a person illegally downloading a CD at home. Radio stations pay for the music they play regardless of whether you'd want the promotion or not.

You cannot compare legal downloading to illegal downloading, regardless of your personal feelings on the matter. It's either wrong or it's not.

Archived