Why are conservative Christians in USA against legalising cannabis?

This isn't a jab at Christianity.

I've heard it said many times with no explanation as to why, but there seems to be a large portion of American society who are against legalising cannabis (fair enough) but site their Christianity as the reasoning for it. I read something similar in the current thread about cannabis, where a forum member posted that a large portion of America still have strong Christian beliefs, so there will be no chance of legalisation.

When asked to explain their position, I've heard & read people say things like "My faith means a lot to me", which doesn't really explain anything. I've looked into the bible but can't seem to see anything about Jesus being against cannabis. There are parts that you could say are pro-cannabis but that's down to interpretation, which is pointless in my opinion.

So does anyone know what Christianity (in this portion of people) has against the legalisation of cannabis?

While we're at it, does anyone know why many conservative Christians over there are in favour of the death penalty even though it says in the bible "thou shalt not kill" ?

Well, there's this, which seems pretty weak to me. The reliance on using only one translation of the meaning of the Greek pharmakeia, the use or the administering of drugs rather than the use of magical arts is pretty tenuous at best, especially given the context in which it is used.

The other reasons given are that it's a sin for the simple reason that having fun is a sin.

We shall have to eagerly await any resident Christians to come along and explain it in more detail for us.

As for your second question I would think that is pretty obvious "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth"

jb

Well, there's this, which seems pretty weak to me. The reliance on using only one translation of the meaning of the Greek pharmakeia, the use or the administering of drugs rather than the use of magical arts is pretty tenuous at best, especially given the context in which it is used.

The other reasons given are that it's a sin for the simple reason that having fun is a sin.

We shall have to eagerly await any resident Christians to come along and explain it in more detail for us.

As for your second question I would think that is pretty obvious "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth"

jb

Well, what's more important for them to obay, God's command or man's law? By eye for an eye, thieves should be stolen from.

If it must be legalised then it ought to be treated like alcohol, i.e not be intoxicated with it in the work-place and behind the wheel of a vehicle etc.

I would have thought that goes without saying. Anyway, got any answers for the OP?

So does anyone know what Christianity (in this portion of people) has against the legalisation of cannabis?

Sadly its this minority that sullies the name "Christianity".

I'm a Christian and I believe that if it grows naturally on God's Earth then it was placed here for a reason.

And until the time comes that it's true use, be it medicinal, or limitless cheap energy, then I have no problems with people smoking it responsibly.

I just wish more people would listen to the tolerant types rather than the nutters. Same with Islam.

Archived