Does being on Telephone Preference System stop cold calls to your Landline?

Topic.

I'm ex-directory and on TPS on my Landline at the Flat, but lately I've still been getting a LOT of calls from Gas and Electric companies trying to sell me stuff, I always say no, as my bills are paid as part of my rent etc to the Housing Association but that's not the point, I thought being ex-directory and on TPS meant that only people who know your phone number can reach you?

Is there any way of stopping these calls? I will contact Talk Talk in due course to see if they can do anything, just wondered if there's anything else I can do?

I registered with TPS a while ago, but lately Im getting loads of calls, mainly surveys but also PPI and accident claim companies. Everyday when I get in from work Ive got 2 or 3 missed calls, from either 'out of area', 'overseas' or withheld numbers :(

You can report to TPS who will, apparently, warn said companies not to call you again. TPS cannot stop any calls that come from abroad, by the way, only UK companies and callers have to abide by the rules! x

It's UK companies who are calling as far as I know! I took a call earlier, I answered, said "Hello", they hung up, I did 1471 to see who it was, no number! :loopy:

Annoying in the extreme IMO.

In theory it stops them, and it does seem to halt the majority.

We still get the automated sort. The phone will sometimes ring up to 3 or 4 times a day with a weird, short number. This will happen over 3 or 4 days, then it seems to stop. We leave the answerphone to catch them.

If you ask them if they've heard of the TPS then they'll generally not call back, but it doesn't stop the overseas ones, these are normally scams anyway and you should just take the mick as much as you can to waste their time.

They only have to stop if they have agreed to sign up with TPS. I had a call from India the other week and said I am registered with the TPS and don't accept cold calls to which he replied it isn't a cold cal, I said excuse me I have not asked you to ring so it is a cold call please take me off your data base and I hung up. I have had a couple on my mobile too, apparently from a company that rings for O2, no idea why as I am on Orange.

I have had a couple on my mobile too, apparently from a company that rings for O2, no idea why as I am on Orange.

They ring to offer you better deals to get you to switch, in my experience, keep getting them from 3 myself x

And as posted above, callers from abroad, India, China, Spain, anywhere thats outside of the UK cannot be stopped by the TPS.

Archived