Do you shop around?

So when looking at a possible purchase do you shop around?

I didn't used to simply because i was under the thought whats the point you only ever save a few pence but then i had abit of a difficult financial period so i had to shop around.

I then noticed you can save substantial amounts by looking around for example when i wanted uncharted 2 i kept looking and it was £17.99 everywhere so i left it after a period of time while looking on HUKD i noticed the game £7.99 so that saved me a tenner.

Most recently however i needed a memory card for my phone it was £3.59 from mymemory.co.uk i had a look on amazon and bought one at £2.75 turns out its coming from mymemory so altho ive only saved £0.84P its still there and i always think pennys make pounds.

I would be interested to know of any good shopping around expierences.

So when looking at a possible purchase do you shop around?

I didn't used to simply because i was under the thought whats the point you only ever save a few pence but then i had abit of a difficult financial period so i had to shop around.

I then noticed you can save substantial amounts by looking around for example when i wanted uncharted 2 i kept looking and it was £17.99 everywhere so i left it after a period of time while looking on HUKD i noticed the game £7.99 so that saved me a tenner.

Most recently however i needed a memory card for my phone it was £3.59 from mymemory.co.uk i had a look on amazon and bought one at £2.75 turns out its coming from mymemory so altho ive only saved £0.84P its still there and i always think pennys make pounds.

I would be interested to know of any good shopping around expierences.

IMO it's pointless buying a cheap item like that on Amazon when it'll cost you almost as much again in postage. You're better off going somewhere like Maplins for a memory card, sure you might pay a bit more but for the convenience of having it now rather than waiting a minimum of 2 days for postage, it's worth it IMO.

I only shop around for those one-off big purchases, I'm not going to drive around for the sake of saving a few pence on bread and beans etc.

You'd probably spend more in petrol money than you'd save in money

I shop around for lots of things, but a lot of the time don't choose the cheapest option because there's a reason why it's cheap (either low quality item, high delivery costs or something else which makes it not the bargain it appears to be).

For instance, our new dishwasher. John Lewis looked quite expensive compared to some of the online sites, but if you add on the amount that the other sites are charging for delivery and the like then what we found is that John Lewis are very competitive, offer a much longer warranty on very similar items than a lot of the other sites and can deliver a lot sooner than many of them too.

Shopping around is all very well if what you really want is the cheapest option, irrelevant of whether it's the one that meets your needs best. There's not really much point in buying the cheapest one if hundreds of people have already posted feedback that shows that the item isn't fit for purpose or fails after the first month.

You can often save shedloads of money by buying something on eBay rather than elsewhere. For example: 1 m of HDMI cable from a high street store, £20+. From eBay for 5 m, £3.50.

I've bought shoes and jeans from eBay that have either never been worn or worn once, for a fraction of their original shop price.

Dont ask me why I coloured the word eBay! :hihi:

Archived