Hit a pot hole and damged my tyre , need advise

hi ive hit a massive pothole in dec in dronfield ive rung the council up and they said get 2 quotes and a picture of my tyre and the pot hole , the day after i reported it i took the pic but they had filled it , the thing has split my tyre right round , ive only just got a reply back saying because the pot hole was never reported before i hit it so they cant offer me any comp , my dad said the pothole was there 2 weeks , now ive got a £150 tyre bill that i cant afford , ill have to go 2nd hand:(

I bet dear old Dad saw it and did nowt-if he saw it perhaps he could have lifted the phone and made contact?

I got £70 back towards a tyre after hitting a pothole. I put it towards the £120 it cost for the new tyre and thought I didnt do too bad out of it all until about two weeks later when I found out it bent the radius arm, drop link and tie rod.

Just try and price a continental 235 45 17 up and you will find you won't get change out of 100 ,then there's the tracking, a good tyre saves lives, what do u buy, remolds?

What do you drive? A Porsche? You should have bought a cheaper tyre!

As said above, you have little chance of getting any money out of them unless you can prove the hole was there for ages.

Just try and price a continental 235 45 17 up and you will find you won't get change out of 100 ,then there's the tracking, a good tyre saves lives, what do u buy, remolds?

Mine are 225 45 17 and I get part worns for 25quid! Got a nice Goodyear the other week, almost new!

What do you drive? A Porsche? You should have bought a cheaper tyre!

As said above, you have little chance of getting any money out of them unless you can prove the hole was there for ages.

Assuming all four tyres were of a certain quality, costing around £150 each, why would they choose to fit a cheapo tyre that won't perform on par with the other three tyres? :huh:

It's the compensation culture I'm afraid. Some folks probably feel they should be able to claim for picking up a nail in their tyre.
I don't generally feel that I should be able to claim for picking up a nail in my tyre, or even for damaging a tyre on a pothole.

However, considering I didn't know I had picked a nail (on Brightside Lane, terrible for this with all the tip artics driving up/down all day), and that it caused my (near-new, 1 month-old, premium) tyre to burst 20 mins later in the middle of 17:00 rush hour traffic on the M1 (doing 70 to 80 at the time), you have to wonder what the chain of liability would have been (ending with the Council?) if it had caused a massive pile-up/injuries/deaths etc.

It's not exactly easy/straightforward to drive a RWD car at 70 mph in a bend with a burst rear tyre on the outside, in the middle of close-in fast-moving traffic, to bring it from the outside lane to a safe stop in the safety lane ;)

Archived