Privacy in your own home

I have no problem with people pointing cameras into the street in front of their homes to protect their property, their vehicle or caravan for example. My problem is when cameras are pointed at someone's else's property just because their vehicle is in front of it.

Thanks for your links, barleycorn. I have read most of this stuff before and on the face of it you can force them to move the cameras and protect yourself. Great! The problem is when you actually go and get legal advice (which I did) and try to do something about it, you can't - all this stuff is ambiguous. You aren't even protected under harassment laws, which is what it amounts to.

My camera points down my drive and accross the road so the opposite house is in view, the bloke came over once and said my camera can see who comes and goes into his house so i better take it down, i refused.

The police were called by him who said unless it is pointing into a room at close zoom there was nothing they can do about it.

My OH's dad has a camera pointed on his driveway. He's quite senior at a far Eastern electronics company so the cameras he has are amazing quality.

A few months ago the cameras picked up someone looking round the car on his drive. The camera software detected movement after midnight and recorded it and printed off some amazing high quality pictures identifying the guy.

He gave the prints to police who were semi-grateful, but more interested in taking action against him because you could see a tiny patch of public pavement and the neighbours gardens. You would have only been able to see feet to knee at most on the recording. The neighbours had give verbal consent to the camera, but as it wasn't written and there were no notices of recording he had to comply.

He blanked off those parts but when the prowler came calling two days later and stole a neighbour's sat nav from their car they were angry that the cameras could have grabbed an image but didn't because the police told him not to!

My camera points down my drive and accross the road so the opposite house is in view, the bloke came over once and said my camera can see who comes and goes into his house so i better take it down, i refused.

The police were called by him who said unless it is pointing into a room at close zoom there was nothing they can do about it.

When some scumbag steals something off his property, or damages his property, I challenge you to keep that smirk off your face when he asks you if you have any cctv footage of the incident.

:hihi:

Archived