Disabled Children looked after by Nuns in 1950's,60's in Sheffield

In the late 60's St Josephs on Howard Road Walkley housed Females and children on lts wards. Nuns Did all the Nursing, from 1970 onwards the N H S Began a gradual take over of the running of the unit which had 4 wards.

In the late 60's St Josephs on Howard Road Walkley housed Females and children on lts wards. Nuns Did all the Nursing, from 1970 onwards the N H S Began a gradual take over of the running of the unit which had 4 wards.

I nursed at St Josephs, in the early 1980s, after the nuns had left, and the NHS had taken over the running of the place, and the chapel was still there, then.

I understand that South Yorkshire Housing Association took over the site, probably 20 years or so ago, and turned it into housing. I understand there is a Buddhist centre there.

The nuns were still there upto 1965 at least. I went to St. Josephs primary school. One or two of the mentally handicapped were allowed as pupils there too. Unfortunately it was a rather strict regime. The priests used to come round knocking on your door if you missed mass. The head nun, was real nasty, although there was a nun that taught named sister Margerate who was kind. Overall though it put me right off. When I was 11, I said to my parents that I did not want to be a catholic. They replied OK, and let me go to Rowlinson Tech. The fact that the Bhuddists took over St. Josephs church says quite a lot. With regards to the people being looked after, there was supposed to be some very extreme cases, which I shall not go into detail here. But those were before the days of Sonar screening.

There used to be a nunnery called oakbrook where we used to go for our sports day because we only had a school yard so there were plenty of nuns around, I went to st maries on edmund road 1961 - 1965 and we had several nuns teaching including the headmistress.

They used to hire buses to transport all the school there for the day.

There used to be a nunnery called oakbrook where we used to go for our sports day because we only had a school yard so there were plenty of nuns around, I went to st maries on edmund road 1961 - 1965 and we had several nuns teaching including the headmistress.

They used to hire buses to transport all the school there for the day.

Wasn't that convent the one which became Notre Dame School?

Archived