Does anyone know the truth about windscreen replacements and insurance?

Hi everyone

I've got a crack on my windscreen, it has to be replaced as its a couple of inches long and therefore not repairable.

I've been doing some research as to wether it affects my no claims bonus or insurance premium in general.

I was told by my insurance company it wouldn't affect my no claims bonus but having looked online, on many forums users have said it doesnt affect your no claims bonus but you must declare it as a claim, which does affects future quotes.

Can someone shed some light on this please, it will be much appreciated.

Depends on your policy. Only way to be sure is ring them up and ask!

From what they've told me is that it wouldn't affect my NCB and my premium while am with them wont change, however just looking on insurance comparison sites confused, moneysupermarket etc there is the option to declare a windscreen replacement.

Surely they wont just be curious to know if people have claimed on or not, it must affect the future premiums?

You're obliged to tell your insurance company of any such repair anyway; if you don't, and later crash into a lamppost and write off your car, they could (technically) refuse to pay out because you have not complied with the requirements of disclosure.

Allowing you to keep your full no-claims bonus but bumping up your basic premium is a tactic as old as the hills, and not exclusive to car insurance. If they try it on with you, that's the time to ring round for other quotes.

Read your policy T&Cs. For mine, I have to declare the windscreen (or other glass damage) pay something like £60 excess and the insurance company will sort everything out for me. I had my windscreen replaced last summer after it suddenly cracked - it didn't affect my NCB but I did have to declare it to my insurer.

Insurance is a scam .Last years I had a small claim for damage caused by vandalism ,fully comp, protected no claims so I claimed and had the work done £450..Insurance renewal came round my premium was nearly double the year befores ,when asked why ..Insurance premiums have gone up and you had a claim..err Iv got protected no claims..yes they have been protected but your basic Insurance premium rises when you have had a claim,they then went on to tell me that it was only the percentage that was protected not the years.

Insurance is a scam .Last years I had a small claim for damage caused by vandalism ,fully comp, protected no claims so I claimed and had the work done £450..Insurance renewal came round my premium was nearly double the year befores ,when asked why ..Insurance premiums have gone up and you had a claim..err Iv got protected no claims..yes they have been protected but your basic Insurance premium rises when you have had a claim,they then went on to tell me that it was only the percentage that was protected not the years.

You seem to have missed what a no claims bonus is.

If you have 5 years NCB and have a claim you will retai your NCB but will still have had an accident. So when you get a new quote it will take account of the fact you had an accident but then discount for 5 years NCB.

I had to have my windscreen replaced in December due to crack too close to edge of screen.

Called autoglass who checked my insurance and said I was covered. Think I paid £70 excess, insurance covered rest.

Renewed my insurance in February. Searched for a web quote and like posters above couldn't determine where to mention replaced windscreen, so called them to ask if I needed to declare the windscreen. They said yes it needs to be logged - quote went up £30 ... still £100 cheaper than my previous insurer.

It didn't effect my NCB.

You seem to have missed what a no claims bonus is.

If you have 5 years NCB and have a claim you will retai your NCB but will still have had an accident. So when you get a new quote it will take account of the fact you had an accident but then discount for 5 years NCB.

Yes but I had protected no claims and had about 10 years NCB before the vandalism ,I claimed and while the 70% stayed the yearly went down to 4 yrs ...you cant transfer a percentage from 1 company to the other you can only transfer the number of years.

Archived