Taking my son to the Leeds Festival to see Foo Fighters

I'm no prude but how did festivals where often class a drugs are available and the evening events can be quite sordid become normal fayre for middle aged(middle class?) adults and especially children. I know the british love camping and one off communal events(they don't have the everyday solidarity of say Spain) etc, but its a far cry from weeks in Wales or Butlins. Is it a form of infantilism?

sorry, if this is a bit heavy on the OP's post, I've been to festivals, Green Gathering, etc, but its something I've wondered about for years, and yes i have been to them, Green Gathering, and others.

Indeed I did, just a day pass for Friday. Having spent the previous weekend at The Beacons, I was pretty impressed with the organisation of the event.

I went for the weekend, the Foo Fighters aren't really my thing so I watched the Horrors and Two Door Cinema Club who were awesome in the NME tent. They slightly re-organised the Arena this year and it did work out really well. The also made the campsite a bit smaller due to reduced ticket sales, which may have in turn made every run a bit smoother.

I read about people buying weekend tickets for £90 in the days leading up to the festival. The organisers would have dumped a load onto the re-sellers websites in an attempt to claw some money back.

exactly, but why the need, something missing?

Do you really believe that you need to have something missing to enjoy watching live music whilst enjoying a few drinks? I really enjoy festivals due to the variety of music and bands who play. They are a great opportunity to catch bands that you normally wouldn't watch.

of course, this probably isn't the thread or the place, but something has changed: when i used to go to gigs in the early 80's you would get the odd hippy twirling around, now a gig can be half full of people over 40, the rave scene was siimilar and had some very dodgy behaviour.

I'm not judging, just wanted to open a discussion, but i'll try and find another part of the site...

of course, this probably isn't the thread or the place, but something has changed: when i used to go to gigs in the early 80's you would get the odd hippy twirling around, now a gig can be half full of people over 40, the rave scene was siimilar and had some very dodgy behaviour.

I'm not judging, just wanted to open a discussion, but i'll try and find another part of the site...

It's fine, I'm not going to feel insulted about what some stranger on the internet thinks, so feel free to continue the discussion.

For the record though I've yet to reach my 40s..

Archived