Puritan England

This seems like a sensible law to me. If a man cant hold his drink like a man and wants to act like a silly twit by breaking the law then the police have a right to pull him up.

This is a completely different from the situation in Cromwell's England when drinking any alcohol was against the law

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17407493

Oliver Cromwell here we come!!

This seems like a good idea, not.

It was tried in the USA in the 1920's and led to the greatest upsurge of gangsterism ever known.

It is the craziest idea I have ever heard, and I am a non drinker.

Prohibition in the States affected everybody and not just individuals that can't have a nice sociable drink without thinking that they are 'Rocky'.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me !!

This seems like a sensible law to me. If a man cant hold his drink like a man and wants to act like a silly twit by breaking the law then the police have a right to pull him up.

This is a completely different from the situation in Cromwell's England when drinking any alcohol was against the law

exactly, this is NOT prohibition, it is cracking down on idiots who offend while under the influence, id rather this than putting up booze prices tbh, why should i (who doesnt offend, and drinks just enough to enjoy) get penalised cos of the idiots....go after them, not me

exactly, this is NOT prohibition, it is cracking down on idiots who offend while under the influence, id rather this than putting up booze prices tbh, why should i (who doesnt offend, and drinks just enough to enjoy) get penalised cos of the idiots....go after them, not me

Bit of a mystery why the OP equated Prohibition with a law that only targets drunken idiots.

Keeping them out of pubs and off the streets isn't going to bring back the likes of Capone and his bootleggers

Individual prohibition is nothing new. Various countries around the world enforce prohibition on individuals that have been in trouble with the law while drunk. Families can also go to court and order a prohibition order on other family members with alcohol problems.

The government should also educate drinkers about alcohol especially dipsomania.

http://dipsomaniaawareness.blogspot.com/

even the Soviet Union had to admit defeat on that one. It was one of the few measures, that straddled the Russian revolution. The Tsar prohibited alcohol, and then the communist revolutionaries thought there was merit in this, and continued the prohibition. But they ultimately admitted defeat, and legalised it. Russia prohibited alcohol years before the United States did.

Prohibition in the States affected everybody and not just individuals that can't have a nice sociable drink without thinking that they are 'Rocky'.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me !!

It's not all bad news.

They can trial it on their doorstep in the numerous bars inside Westminster.

You mean where the Labour MP's hang out? :hihi:

Archived