DWP & Home Office workers in Sheffield, prepare to take you pay cuts

Osborne proposes regionalised pay for public sector workers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/16/public-servants-poorer-regions-lower-pay

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing if it is done carefully and fairly. It is obviously much more expensive to live in the SE and other areas and that should be reflected. Other public sector workers already have pay scales that reflect this, nurses and police for example.

From a Sheffield perspective we have very overpriced housing in many areas of the city, no doubt driven up by the high pay of the disproportionately high number of public sector workers we have. The house prices need to be normalised a bit.

What do others think?

There have recently been nationwide recruitment exercises by HMRC. Is it really likely that people would opt to work in Barnsley, Sheffield, Bradford for example when offices in Manchester and Leeds were offering higher pay for the same jobs?

In some ways we already have this with London Weighting but it will be interesting to see just how "local" the local facing pay agreements are going to be.

I predict the PCS will ballot for strike action over it.

From a Sheffield perspective we have very overpriced housing in many areas of the city, no doubt driven up by the high pay of the disproportionately high number of public sector workers we have. The house prices need to be normalised a bit.

is there any evidence that we do have a disproportionally high number of public sector workers here and that they are paid highly enough to be able to afford a house let alone drive prices up?

is there any evidence that we do have a disproportionally high number of public sector workers here and that they are paid highly enough to be able to afford a house let alone drive prices up?

I agree, I don't think its just as simple as saying well paid public sector workers are forcing up prices. I think there are a number of other factors at work including high demand as a result of x2 universities, plus a lack of other work paid at decent rates. I am sure there are other, factors as well.

Osborne proposes regionalised pay for public sector workers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/16/public-servants-poorer-regions-lower-pay

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing if it is done carefully and fairly. It is obviously much more expensive to live in the SE and other areas and that should be reflected. Other public sector workers already have pay scales that reflect this, nurses and police for example.

What do others think?

Sounds like a good idea...................on paper. But look what happened when the civil service tried to implement cost savings. I am sure the Unions will fluff up about it.

In the long run it would then make sense for the government to relocate jobs to the cheaper regions. At the moment there is no real incentive to do that.

I agree, I don't think its just as simple as saying well paid public sector workers are forcing up prices. I think there are a number of other factors at work including high demand as a result of x2 universities, plus a lack of other work paid at decent rates. I am sure there are other, factors as well.

One of the big factors is the dreadful state of education in some parts of the city. Parents are pushing themselves to the brink to buy houses in areas where schools are better, even though they are still awful by national standards.

It says inline with the private sector. That means they will be getting pay rises.

In teaching there are few private sector workers for reasons of comparability.For example in Carlisle how many private schools are there,and how many private clinics in Hartlepool?It is yet another market based solution that will fail.

Archived