DWP & Home Office workers in Sheffield, prepare to take you pay cuts

No matter how much money you throw at the public sector it just fails to deliver time after time.

I'd have to disagree with that. The Public Sector is a large field and you can't just say that it's all failing and that people aren't working to save money.

For example I've just saved one school £6000 by simply shopping around for their Microsoft Licensing renewal.

And this is the same throughout the land. By employing business managers and canny IT managers schools are finally getting good value for money.

Sadly much of this was undone a few years back by Labour's BSF programme. They claimed to be able to save money by getting rid of IT support staff, TUPEing some off. But at the same time they put in completely over-specced IT equipment. When will a standard secondary school need CISCO bank grade networking equipment?

They also though it would be a good idea to have call centres instead of on-site staff. But when a projector fails the last thing a teacher needs is to ring a call centre and be talked through certain steps to try and get it working again.

I always smirk at how angry you come across, you cant possibly be a grumpy old man all the time can you? :)

I completely agree with the your comments about the upper regions of public sector pay, but i fear that this policy, like so many others, will be botched together and the regular workers will just be in yet another race to the bottom.

Less of the "old". I am not grumpy at all really. It's no secret I despise the left for what they have done to my country and my city. It's no secret I think the public sector, particularly in Sheffield, is a shambles and a big con.

But really I just like winding up lefties. It's a bit too easy but fun nonetheless. They don't like having their lazy thinking challenged and I know when I've scored because their only repost is abuse.

The fact is what is needed in this country is a consensus amongst parties over the key issues. Long-term plans strategic plans that can be implemented on a decent scale over multiple parliaments (no matter who is in control) for the good of the country. As it is we shudder from parliament to parliament, new policies every few years, one parliament unpicking the work of the last one etc.... etc... etc... Everything is disconnected, departments not joined-up, policy all over the place.

I'm coming to the conclusion that our political system is broken because it can't deliver consistent policy for the good of the country

The place to start would be for politicians to accept that we are a declining nation living well beyond its means. Once that message has sunk in they can start to admit we can't afford many of the public services.

Instead they persist in making promises they can't keep and that's what makes them look like liars and thieves unable to deliver.

I'd have to disagree with that. The Public Sector is a large field and you can't just say that it's all failing and that people aren't working to save money.

Only today we have heard of schools acting illegally in excluding pupils. Every day we hear of this or that service failing in its duty of care, not fit for purpose, acting illegally, wasting money and a whole host of other undesirable outcomes. But these services are completely unaccountable. The people who run them face no sanction for incompetence and stupidity. The people who pay their taxes and are abused by these wretched fools cannot hold them to account. It is completely unfair, unacceptable and flies in the face of common justice.

The point I am making is that immense amounts of cash have been chucked at the public sector and it hasn't made much difference. They have had their chance to make themselves cost effective and fit for purpose and they have chosen not to do so. Instead they have lined their own pockets at our expense. Osborne is right to level the playing field by stopping pay rises and let the pay rates drift down. Eventually the likes of Tesco will be paying more than the public sector and people will leave to go elsewhere making the public sector much more cost effective for the rubbish they force on us.

Only today we have heard of schools acting illegally in excluding pupils. Every day we hear of this or that service failing in its duty of care, not fit for purpose, acting illegally, wasting money and a whole host of other undesirable outcomes. But these services are completely unaccountable. The people who run them face no sanction for incompetence and stupidity. The people who pay their taxes and are abused by these wretched fools cannot hold them to account. It is completely unfair, unacceptable and flies in the face of common justice.

The point I am making is that immense amounts of cash have been chucked at the public sector and it hasn't made much difference. They have had their chance to make themselves cost effective and fit for purpose and they have chosen not to do so. Instead they have lined their own pockets at our expense. Osborne is right to level the playing field by stopping pay rises and let the pay rates drift down. Eventually the likes of Tesco will be paying more than the public sector and people will leave to go elsewhere making the public sector much more cost effective for the rubbish they force on us.

Not made much difference? Well, with all the cutbacks and all the moaning going on by people throughout the country (and the cuts have not really begun yet) we'll see a big difference. The tories have always ground the entire country to a halt, even without the newly proposed road charges.

I pay taxes Jim and have done since I started working at 18. I've never claimed any kind of benefit and work full time. I contribute to society as much as people who work in the private sector.

Only recently the Department of Education have had to deal with 42% budget cuts and all public departments have had their budgets cut quite drastically. Where I work posts haven't been filled for years with staff having to absorb other peoples' roles as well as their own resulting in a lot of stress. I find it funny that you think you are so knowledgeable yet you don't work for the Civil Service do you? Or is it just jealousy coming out. Whatever it is you sound bitter. I can hold my head up high and know i'm not a scrounger.

I pay taxes Jim and have done since I started working at 18. I've never claimed any kind of benefit and work full time. I contribute to society as much as people who work in the private sector.

Not really. Your salary is paid from the tax that everyone else pays.

You pay a little bit of tax back from that salary, but that's not a net gain to the government is it, it's a net loss of 80% of the salary they've paid you.

Only recently the Department of Education have had to deal with 42% budget cuts and all public departments have had their budgets cut quite drastically. Where I work posts haven't been filled for years with staff having to absorb other peoples' roles as well as their own resulting in a lot of stress. I find it funny that you think you are so knowledgeable yet you don't work for the Civil Service do you? Or is it just jealousy coming out. Whatever it is you sound bitter. I can hold my head up high and know i'm not a scrounger.

I don't think anyone said you were did they? Not being a scrounger doesn't mean you are contributing to the economy though.

For example I've just saved one school £6000 by simply shopping around for their Microsoft Licensing renewal.

You could probably have saved a lot more by stopping using commercial software.

And this is the same throughout the land. By employing business managers and canny IT managers schools are finally getting good value for money.

See above for just how canny that was.

Not really. Your salary is paid from the tax that everyone else pays.

You pay a little bit of tax back from that salary, but that's not a net gain to the government is it, it's a net loss of 80% of the salary they've paid you.

I don't think anyone said you were did they? Not being a scrounger doesn't mean you are contributing to the economy though.

So what do you suggest - I come to work for nothing? That I don't earn my money or millions of other workers out there don't. How do you know what we all do all day.

So just because the senior levels of the Civil Service need reforming you have tarred us all with the same brush? I obviously just imagine that I have 20% tax deducted every month? What rate of tax do you pay? You obviously aren't all there in the head :loopy:

Archived