DWP & Home Office workers in Sheffield, prepare to take you pay cuts

Not made much difference? Well, with all the cutbacks and all the moaning going on by people throughout the country (and the cuts have not really begun yet) we'll see a big difference. The tories have always ground the entire country to a halt, even without the newly proposed road charges.

The Tories proposal for roads supports what I'm saying. Instead of coming out and saying we haven't got any money they conjure up this PR stunt to give the illusion that money will be spent on roads.

So what do you suggest - I come to work for nothing? That I don't earn my money or millions of other workers out there don't. How do you know what we all do all day.

So just because the senior levels of the Civil Service need reforming you have tarred us all with the same brush? I obviously just imagine that I have 20% tax deducted every month? What rate of tax do you pay? You obviously aren't all there in the head :loopy:

The suggestions to fix the problem aren't about individuals, they're about the system. But that doesn't alter the fact that the public sector is a net consumer of wealth, not a generator of it.

What you do all day doesn't matter, from a high level what you do is consume wealth.

What does my rate of tax have to do with anything?

Part of the solution is to have a smaller public sector, the government and public sector are bloated and inefficient, they do things that they should not do, there is a massively wasteful bureaucracy that seems to mainly exist to maintain itself!

Yeah, ok then. Just thrown a blanket statement when you know nothing of the facts. Its not about "inefficiency", the best software for the job just happens to run on Windows. :rolleyes:

Where did that 'best software' come from?

(I'll give you a clue, if it was procured by government then I'm going to say public sector inefficiency for locking themselves into a commercial product that they have to keep paying for). :thumbsup:

Have you ever heard of WINE (not the stuff you drink), will this software run through that?

What is the software anyway, don't tell me it's Microsoft Office please or I may just fall of my chair laughing.

I pay taxes Jim and have done since I started working at 18. I've never claimed any kind of benefit and work full time. I contribute to society as much as people who work in the private sector.

Only recently the Department of Education have had to deal with 42% budget cuts and all public departments have had their budgets cut quite drastically. Where I work posts haven't been filled for years with staff having to absorb other peoples' roles as well as their own resulting in a lot of stress. I find it funny that you think you are so knowledgeable yet you don't work for the Civil Service do you? Or is it just jealousy coming out. Whatever it is you sound bitter. I can hold my head up high and know i'm not a scrounger.

Nobody has suggested you are a scrounger. But, you have got to realise that no matter how much tax you pay and how good a job you do you are still a net drain on the country. Three people somewhere in the battered private sector has had to work to pay enough tax to pay your salary. At the moment those persons only pay enough tax to pay 75% of your salary. The other 25% has to be borrowed on the international markets. At some point it will have to be paid back. Do you pay enough tax to pay a third of someone's salary and chip in for all the benefits claimants and keep the OAPs and pay the pension of your predecessor? I have to.

I used to work for the Post Office and BT when they were publicly owned. Since then I have worked on public sector contracts for councils and the MoD. I've seen how much waste and bureaucracy there is. Believe it or not I have friends (yes, it's true) and many of them work for the public sector. They tell me what goes on. Even they can't believe it sometimes.

Yes, the education dept may have a had a 42% cut recently but it had at least a 300% increase under Labour that you conveniently forget. If you're talking about Sheffield Education a 100% cut would not be enough. They are the perfect example of waste and a department not fit for purpose. As I have said the public sector is overmanned, overpaid and underperforming. It has plenty of fat to trim. I suspect Osborne isn't going to make it fit and lean. He'll just hack a few limbs off and claim he's cut down on waste.

Not being a scrounger doesn't mean you are contributing to the economy though.

Lots of people in the public sector make a useful contribution to society, If not the economy. The problem is that under Labour they created far too many "contributing" to society and not enough contributing to the economy. Osborne's proposal is to help balance things out a bit.

Lots of people in the public sector make a useful contribution to society, If not the economy. The problem is that under Labour they created far too many "contributing" to society and not enough contributing to the economy. Osborne's proposal is to help balance things out a bit.

And with unemployment rising there'll be fewer contributing to the economy.

Truth is there is good and bad practice in both the private and public sector, so it's pointless trying to engineer some sort of sterile debate.

It is worth saying that the public sector was good enough for the arch emissaries of free market capitalism when their precious system went 'tits up'. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/12/reality-check-banking-bailout)

And with unemployment rising there'll be fewer contributing to the economy.

Truth is there is good and bad practice in both the private and public sector, so it's pointless trying to engineer some sort of sterile debate.

It is worth saying that the public sector was good enough for the arch emissaries of free market capitalism when their precious system went 'tits up'. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/12/reality-check-banking-bailout)

Also when the dodgy breast implants went "tits up"

Archived