DWP & Home Office workers in Sheffield, prepare to take you pay cuts

I'm in much the same situation Virgoen.

Because of the last round of redundancies, when my job share partner lost his job - his post didn't get filled & I'm expected to do my work, his work & plus cover for my supervisor that has been off work the last 4 weeks with a stress related illness.

I've just got home realising that there was something that needed doing that one of my students is expecting....

I'm just over the threashold for claiming any housing benefit or council tax rebate & am really ****ed off that life is just getting so much harder for people who are struggling to cope.

I wouldn't get angry about the troll. That's what he is, probably sits on his arse all day reading the Daily Mail with his trousers round his ankles.

The public sector has long been overmanned and underworked compared to the private sector. Welcome to the real world.

Because of the last round of redundancies, when my job share partner lost his job - his post didn't get filled & I'm expected to do my work, his work & plus cover for my supervisor that has been off work the last 4 weeks with a stress related illness.
Don't know which dept you work in, but I don't know any private sector employer who would 'put up' with 4 weeks off for "stress".

Do I take it that your package now reflects your job non-sharing?

It's glib, boorish and partisan enough a comment but, just like rickiethecat put it above, welcome to what has been the routine grind for a very sizeable portion of the private sector for the last 3 years.

We're all (private/public) in it together - at last :(

Why do the job of 3 people, just do your work and let the management figure out how to fill the massive gap, that's their job, not yours.

I know - logically you are right & I've often thought perhaps if I didn't try to fill the gaps then my managers would start recruiting quicker.

However the needs of students don't go away because there are unfilled vacancies.

Don't know which dept you work in, but I don't know any private sector employer who would 'put up' with 4 weeks off for "stress".

It's glib, boorish and partisan enough a comment but, just like rickiethecat put it above, welcome to what has been the routine grind for a very sizeable portion of the private sector for the last 3 years. We're all in it together - at last :(

No I work in the public sector so my terms & conditions are exactly the same. Which according to some on here means I deserve everything I get.

Why do the job of 3 people, just do your work and let the management figure out how to fill the massive gap, that's their job, not yours.

In just about every organisation I've worked in, the management doesn't know its bum from it's elbow let alone know how to scratch it. I've heard many people say something along the lines of, "If you're good at your job you won't get promoted." Drawing from my own similar experiences and hearing stories from other people there seems to be something in this. It's staggering the amount of times people have highlighted problems or suggested improvements in mapping only to be ignored time upon time by managers ... unless the managers can take all the credit for it of course.

I'm in much the same situation Virgoen.

I've just got home realising that there was something that needed doing that one of my students is expecting....

I'm just over the threashold for claiming any housing benefit or council tax rebate & am really ****ed off that life is just getting so much harder for people who are struggling to cope.

I wouldn't get angry about the troll. That's what he is, probably sits on his arse all day reading the Daily Mail with his trousers round his ankles.

What gets me Mister M is some of the vitriolic comments that are being posted on here. You can feel the contempt they have for people working in the public sector. People that are earning a lot less than they realise. It's very sad when public are pitted against the private sector.

It's as though we should have our rights taken away in the public sector just because some private sector employers are ghastly. Shouldn't we be trying to get better terms and conditions for people not worst. You can almost feel their delight at people struggling. It's all very sad really.

The good thing is that people like ourselves who work in the public sector, work in the sector because we care and that seems to be the difference in how we approach life. People can say what they want and hate all they want but at the end of the day we have to live our lives and experience all the problems that come from working in the public sector. We know the truth they can speculate all they want.

Where did that 'best software' come from?

(I'll give you a clue, if it was procured by government then I'm going to say public sector inefficiency for locking themselves into a commercial product that they have to keep paying for). :thumbsup:

Have you ever heard of WINE (not the stuff you drink), will this software run through that?

What is the software anyway, don't tell me it's Microsoft Office please or I may just fall of my chair laughing.

Oh dear, your ignorance is showing more and more on this thread.

If you knew anything you'd know that MS Office is free!

But please feel free to carry on grasping at straws, its hilarious!

Perhaps you should go away and do a little more research on costings and educational software - both in the classroom and out of it - before posting further rubbish about Linux and WINE being this wondrous solution.

It's glib, boorish and partisan enough a comment but, just like rickiethecat put it above, welcome to what has been the routine grind for a very sizeable portion of the private sector for the last 3 years.

"put up with" - what is that supposed to mean?

Sounds easy to turn round and say no doesn't it? It isn't. Put youself in a position where you are clinging onto a job and people are being made redundant around you. Are you going to put yourself in the firing line?

are you suggesting it ought to? is that what they would do in the private sector?

Archived