Point 16 21,176

Point 17 21,798

Point 18 22,676

Point 19 23,589

Point 20 24,554

Point 21 25,528

Point 22 26,556

Point 23 27,625

The above figures are the pay rates in the NHS, and now the PFI companies, for Engineering Technicians qualified to HNC level and being responsible all the engineering function, supervising up to 20 or 30 men, of all disciplines.

They are not film star wages by any means.

Nurses and Domestic Supervisors are also paid similar rates.

All with great responsibility.

If you were on those wages in Sheffield and the average house price was £100k then living expenses become a whole lot more reasonable.

The key thing is what it costs to live. If the key basics are beyond reach, e.g. for prospective first-time buyers, then there is a big problem.

There is a big problem now and it isn't because wages are too low (they are actually pretty good by international standards) but because the price of the basics is too high. House prices need to come down. Then the price of utilities.

Civil Servants in London already get paid more.

In some departments they work less hours - 36 as opposed to the standard 37 (works out at about 1 1/2 weeks less over the year that they work) plus up to £3500 London weighting allowance.

I know civil servants in Sheffield who get paid very, very well. And I suspect the only difference between them and their London counterparts is the weighting. It's absurd really.

Osborne and Cameron want life to be like in the old days where the workingman tugged his forelock and thanked the boss for employing him. One of the reasons this Government was cutting /increasing pensions contributions was because the salaries public sector workers receive are on a par with the private sector, they won't be for much longer will they?

I know civil servants in Sheffield who get paid very, very well. And I suspect the only difference between them and their London counterparts is the weighting. It's absurd really.

Really? I'm a Civil Servant and I'm in the teens with my salary. I've been a Civil Servant for 5 years and not had a pay rise for 3. Despite all the strike action on the pension reforms my pension contributions have just increased by £15 a month. This is a lot of money to me. They will increase again next year and the year after.

My mum also works in the public sector and has also not had a pay rise for 3 years. She has been in her job for 20 years and earns £15,000. Please tell me how it is morally right to make people earning less than £20,000 take a pay cut or not have a pay rise for 5-10 years.

The cost of living is so high. In the public sector we don't get bonuses like the private sector so they can't be compared.

Oh and there are already different pay scales in place for people down south. They are paid considerably more than people up north. I know many people in the Civil Service and Public Sector and not many are on high salaries as you say so no it's not absurd that we should expect a pay rise just like people in the south.

Really? I'm a Civil Servant and I'm in the teens with my salary. I've been a Civil Servant for 5 years and not had a pay rise for 3. Despite all the strike action on the pension reforms my pension contributions have just increased by £15 a month. This is a lot of money to me. They will increase again next year and the year after.

My mum also works in the public sector and has also not had a pay rise for 3 years. She has been in her job for 20 years and earns £15,000. Please tell me how it is morally right to make people earning less than £20,000 take a pay cut or not have a pay rise for 5-10 years.

The cost of living is so high. In the public sector we don't get bonuses like the private sector so they can't be compared.

Oh and there are already different pay scales in place for people down south. They are paid considerably more than people up north. I know many people in the Civil Service and Public Sector and not many are on high salaries as you say so no it's not absurd that we should expect a pay rise just like people in the south.

Yeah, I know some civil servants (and other public sector workers) in Sheffield on very generous and I think undeserved salaries. £50k, in the pub by 3pm on a Friday. Nice work!

I take the point that a lot of public sector workers are on low-ish salaries but the point about your living expenses being too high is that if you look at one of the key basics - housing - it isn't because you are underpaid, it is because the basics are too expensive. If housing suddenly became 50% more affordable you'd feel better about your salary. If the useless twonks getting paid £50k now effectively had their salary reduced to £35k in real terms you'd feel even better.

If you were on those wages in Sheffield and the average house price was £100k then living expenses become a whole lot more reasonable.

The key thing is what it costs to live. If the key basics are beyond reach, e.g. for prospective first-time buyers, then there is a big problem.

There is a big problem now and it isn't because wages are too low (they are actually pretty good by international standards) but because the price of the basics is too high. House prices need to come down. Then the price of utilities.

The basic pay rates were negotiated when you could get a decent house for about 40 grand.

It shows how far core essential workers are being left behind, while the drone bankers make fortunes from dust and snake oil.

Yeah, I know some civil servants (and other public sector workers) in Sheffield on very generous and I think undeserved salaries. £50k, in the pub by 3pm on a Friday. Nice work!

I take the point that a lot of public sector workers are on low-ish salaries but the point about your living expenses being too high is that if you look at one of the key basics - housing - it isn't because you are underpaid, it is because the basics are too expensive. If housing suddenly became 50% more affordable you'd feel better about your salary. If the useless twonks getting paid £50k now effectively had their salary reduced to £35k in real terms you'd feel even better.

I understand what you are saying but I think it's idealistic to think that housing is going to ever come down in price. I just don't think that will happen. The fact is food, petrol, gas, electricity, water has all gone up in price and will keep going up. If people don't get pay rises for years and years they literally won't be able to live anymore.

Your point about highly paid civil servants in the pub by 3pm on Friday - how do you know they haven't done their time? I'm contracted to work 37 hours. We don't get overtime so I'm not working for free. I can be in work for 7am so leaving at 3pm means I've done my time. Some people do more hours earlier in the week to leave early on Friday. Nothing wrong with that if you've done your hours. I don't personally know anyone on £50,000 except the top bosses who frankly I don't speak to.

Band 5

Point 16 21,176

Point 17 21,798

Point 18 22,676

Point 19 23,589

Point 20 24,554

Point 21 25,528

Point 22 26,556

Point 23 27,625

The above figures are the pay rates in the NHS, and now the PFI companies, for Engineering Technicians qualified to HNC level and being responsible all the engineering function, supervising up to 20 or 30 men, of all disciplines.

They are not film star wages by any means.

Nurses and Domestic Supervisors are also paid similar rates.

All with great responsibility.

The above payscale (AFC Band 5) applies to staff nurses, ODPs, paramedics & EMTs. Its not a massive salary given the responsibilities. How do they expect to grade these against the private sector

I understand what you are saying but I think it's idealistic to think that housing is going to ever come down in price. I just don't think that will happen. The fact is food, petrol, gas, electricity, water has all gone up in price and will keep going up. If people don't get pay rises for years and years they literally won't be able to live anymore.

Your point about highly paid civil servants in the pub by 3pm on Friday - how do you know they haven't done their time? I'm contracted to work 37 hours. We don't get overtime so I'm not working for free. I can be in work for 7am so leaving at 3pm means I've done my time. Some people do more hours earlier in the week to leave early on Friday. Nothing wrong with that if you've done your hours. I don't personally know anyone on £50,000 except the top bosses who frankly I don't speak to.

House prices will come down Trust me. It's silly to think they never will and the idea they could only ever head upwards is one of the causes of the tripe we're in now.

I know a few people on £50k+. In Sheffield. In public sector jobs or quangos. I don't think many of them set much of an example.

I also know a lot of public sector workers on a lot less than £50k. My wife is one.

Having major government departments here is generally a good thing for the city but the wages of the many senior staff in those departments are ridiculously high compared to local wages. And it ain't the senior staff that have taken the brunt of redundancies - from what I can gather talking to people I know they culled the civil service junior ranks and saved themselves. They need to be brought into line with local conditions.

The above payscale (AFC Band 5) applies to staff nurses, ODPs, paramedics & EMTs. Its not a massive salary given the responsibilities. How do they expect to grade these against the private sector

Why would somebody doing the same role in the private sector expect to get more? The fact is wages will be driven lower in many cases.

And living expenses will have to follow. If they don't the economy will cease to function. There will be no disposable income and widespread private business failure.

House prices have to come down.

Then the price of utilities.

There is no other way. High living costs are a massive drag on the economy.

Archived